440 into a small block challenger

-

steveschwenke

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have 70 challenger that had a 318 in it and i have the chance to either put in a 340 or a 440
what is entaled and needed and approx cost in the 440 conversion and is it worth it
Thx steve

I don't know what's involved, but I would go 440. We love our little 340s here, but we have small lightweight cars that move out well with them. Big heavy Challenger should get a big torquey motor, in my opinion. Not that I wouldn't like to own one with a small block, but if you are going to the trouble to do the swap, go big or go home.

By the way, you will get some knowledgeable responses here, but would do better on FEBO http://www.forebodiesonly.com/

Had a 69 Charger with a 318 and swapped in a 440. Wife (GF then) drove it with both engines and said the one with the 440 was the fastest car she'd ever driven. Go big block!

well going to a 340you shouldn't need anything but tube headers which isn't much of a challenge. going to a 440 you will need everything from the radiator to the driveshaft which will be a big challenge.

IF you have a 727 for a tranny, then skip the driveshaft issue. Be concerned about U-joint size vs power output and vs abuse factor(s)

The nice thing about an E-body is all you'll need to swing in a different engine, in this case, mostly the big block is the proper mounts. NO swap conversion mounts needed.
The 318 has different drivers side mounts than the 340/360 and can be made to work with just a spacer/washer(s).

A larger rad. for the engine is a plus.

-
Back