440 oil pan?

-

gardnerjamesw

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what's the best oil pan to should use on my stock /6 K member demon.
New motor is a Stroker 512 which will have a girdle and a windage tray.
Thanks

is that still going to give me enough capacity for a High Volume or High Pressure oil pump? I don't mind spending the money for a good aftermarket product.

is that still going to give me enough capacity for a High Volume or High Pressure oil pump? I don't mind spending the money for a good aftermarket product.
It will be fine for stock capacity. Lots of people don't like high pressure or high volume pumps as they can starve your oil supply. I run one on my 440 (high pressure) and have no issues.

......I have the 440 source pan on my duster with a girdle...........idler arm does not clear the pan as the thickness of the girdle is the problem...........kim........

is this the 440 source pan youre talking about? because its what i intend to use when the time comes

Big Block A-Body 6 Quart Oil Pan with Tie Rod Relief-440 Source

also, high pressure is different than a high volume pump, which i'm sure anyone who already has an engine built understands. but some people new to engines don't readily know the difference. i've just known a lot of people who start building an engine and like the sound of having a high volume pump but don't necessarily know what the implications of that are

is this the 440 source pan youre talking about? because its what i intend to use when the time comes

Big Block A-Body 6 Quart Oil Pan with Tie Rod Relief-440 Source

also, high pressure is different than a high volume pump, which i'm sure anyone who already has an engine built understands. but some people new to engines don't readily know the difference. i've just known a lot of people who start building an engine and like the sound of having a high volume pump but don't necessarily know what the implications of that are
Do tell.

Oh sorry mine is the 8 qt aluminum pan. I still think the motor needs to be raised to completely clear the idler arm. Kim

you mean do tell about high volume and high pressure pumps?

honestly the majority of my experience is with street and pretty mild engines, so i have never used anything but standard pumps.

i have never had an oil pan pumped dry in a car, but some people insist that they can be. but the reason for that would be the oil from the engine not draining back to the pain quickly enough, so without really having a specific number or formula, i would imagine you would at least want to make sure your pan holds enough to make sure the oil drains back to the pan before it's pumped out, but that's still only if you're going to be spinning the engine up high then letting it come back down. it seems to me at sustained high rpm you would still have to do something about the oil draining down more quickly. but i really doubt most of us here are doing that kind of revving, especially with a 440.

more experienced race engine guys here can correct me if i'm wrong. but i know tolerances on a race engine are much larger than on street engines, requiring more volume to make sure the space gets filled with oil. but at the same time, with the increased tolerance should come much increased flow, meaning quicker drain down, meaning no dry oil pan.

as far as increasing the oil pressure, if you aren't increasing tolerances, and your bearings are good, do you really need more oil pressure than stock? it may not matter to the bearings and metal parts in the engine, but i would be worried about certain seals not holding up to significantly increased oil pressure. it may be unlikely, i can't speak for everyone's engine. but i would always be afraid something like my main seal or distributor O-ring would blow out and i wouldn't realize it until it was too late haha

Does anyone know if this will fit?
Moroso Street / Strip Oil Pan, 7 qt.
Item #: MOR20760
Did a Google search and a guy had a 67 Dart that it just barley hit the back corner but thought it was 67 only issue, another guy with a Dart Sport 440 said no issues.

Did a Google search and a guy had a 67 Dart that it just barley hit the back corner but thought it was 67 only issue, another guy with a Dart Sport 440 said no issues.
Thanks for looking that up... I tried to do the same but couldn't find a definitive answer... I'm just going to go for it and give it a try

let me know. it is like $50 cheaper than the 440 source one, but it doesn't have the tie rod clearance either.

personally i like that the other one looks factory but with a 6 quart capacity.

the moroso holds 7, but it's also 7 inches deep compared to 5 1/2 on the other one. i don't know how your dart sits, but i feel like if i put that on mine it might wind up being a 6 quart pan after a few bumpy railroad crossings and speed bumps haha

let me know. it is like $50 cheaper than the 440 source one, but it doesn't have the tie rod clearance either.

personally i like that the other one looks factory but with a 6 quart capacity.

the moroso holds 7, but it's also 7 inches deep compared to 5 1/2 on the other one. i don't know how your dart sits, but i feel like if i put that on mine it might wind up being a 6 quart pan after a few bumpy railroad crossings and speed bumps haha
HA thats an excellent point... damn decisions.

Here is the only pic of the 7 or 8 QT morose oil pan I had in my 73 440 dart. It fit great. My car was a factory disc brake car. I didn't have to dent the pan at all for the steering linkage.

IMG_0176.PNG

Here is the only pic of the 7 or 8 QT morose oil pan I had in my 73 440 dart. It fit great. My car was a factory disc brake car. I didn't have to dent the pan at all for the steering linkage.

View attachment 1715033042
SWEET! Thanks for responding! I ended up pulling the trigger on a Mancini 6qt hemi pan Item #: MRE547 about two hours ago

-
Back