440 Oiling mods

-

QK TIME

Reaction score
Would love to oil my rocker shafts from the rear galley holes and get rid of the cam bearing method. Never have seen this done before on stock block and heads. 440/906/solid cam. Seems simple, fitting in one galley hole, other kept for gauge. Simple lines through the VCs and plumb into end of rocker shaft. 440 Source rockers and shafts. Am I missing something? Anyone ever do this?
I know a lot of aftermarket blocks and heads are done this way. I'm freshening the motor and want to take time this time around and get all the oiling advantages I can. Id like the #4 main to get all the oil it can, equal to the others. IE, not having it have to feed the valve train. Its driving daily and drivin hard.
user_online.gif
I figured some kind of restrictor. Any guess on a good size to start with?

Would love to oil my rocker shafts from the rear galley holes and get rid of the cam bearing method. Never have seen this done before on stock block and heads. 440/906/solid cam. Seems simple, fitting in one galley hole, other kept for gauge. Simple lines through the VCs and plumb into end of rocker shaft. 440 Source rockers and shafts. Am I missing something? Anyone ever do this?
I know a lot of aftermarket blocks and heads are done this way. I'm freshening the motor and want to take time this time around and get all the oiling advantages I can. Id like the #4 main to get all the oil it can, equal to the others. IE, not having it have to feed the valve train. Its driving daily and drivin hard.
user_online.gif
I figured some kind of restrictor. Any guess on a good size to start with?

First thing you are missing is your rocker choice ... JUNK ... More than once person has had valves drop when the roller axle snaps and spits the roller out and the design of the rocker pops the valve locks.
You don't need to add external lines to oil full time, you can make the mods inside the block or even just groove the #4 journal of the cam and still keep the pulse oiling. You will need to add a restrictor, go with .080 and see much oil you get .

Thanks Guys. First time using anything from 440 Source. Just learned of the kit and of the other internal method. Like both methods better than My idea.

JohnRR, you need to clarify the 440source head problems start when valve lift is .500ish or higher. A mild cam will be fine with their set up.

JohnRR, you need to clarify the 440source head problems start when valve lift is .500ish or higher. A mild cam will be fine with their set up.

Junk is junk , I wouldn't trust those rockers , Cat rockers have the same issue , as far as I could throw them.

The shafts are brittle and they care how far the valves are opening .

there is a thread on DodgeCharger.com that I like to post up , Brandon cried to moparts about me posting the link. Tom on moparts had a set of those rockers on his 500" blown motor he knew they had an issue but used them anyway, and he lost a rocker .. or 2 ... and trashed his engine. He finally admitted it after I kept mentioning the incident without saying who it was, he had told me about it when I ran into him at Leb. Valley.

Rockers are the last place to skimp, you buy cheap chinese junk , you get cheap chinese junk.

Well that sucks. Cams got .562 lift. Haven't been online much lately. Had not heard anything bad when I bought them a year ago. Anything else from them gotta bad rep?

Im running a MP590 cam with 440source rockers for 2yrs 6800 though the lights

i here that the stock rockers will work just fine with .500-5.64 lift as long it is a street car. not a drag car

Like John said - groove the cam, drill and tap the oil feed at the block's deck surface and be ready to restrict it.

I like the oil mod that moparteacher posted on big block dart with pictures I run oil through lifters and push rods.I have not had any trouble with 440 source rockers and shafts.I did have trouble with a set of heads but they sent me a new set Any part in a gas engine is prone to brake.And all most any thing you buy to day is made in china.You mis a gear at 6500 you will have a bad day And when some one has a bad day & you keep pushing they may say somethink just to shut you up.I have broken rockerarms by try to get things to close over reving and using the wrong part for app.

I'm in the same boat on this one. I want to take care of this issue and avoid a broken engine. Can anyone post some photos of the simple mod where the #4 cam journal gets grooved and the oil feeds at the decks get restrictors? What is used as far as restrictors, is it pipe plugs with a small hole drilled, or can I purchase the restrictors somewhere? how deep does the groove in the cam journal need to be? Is this mod adequet enough for a 6500 RPM combo?

This is a BAD idea in a BBM. You risk losing the #4 main bearing and spinning the rod bearing due to lack of oil.

I ended up turning the cam bearing and blocking the passage there. Then I did the mod from Big Block Dart, drilling the holes through the valley into the oil galleys. I then tapped the deck surface and bought plugs available from the hardware store. I have needle roller rockers and havent fired it yet. Im starting with a .045 hole in the plugs. The bad part is having to pull the heads to "tune" the oil supply, but oh well. Im in the middle of a move and will probably be a couple months before I fire it up.

-
Back