440 opinions

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
Need some input on a 440 engine. It has come out of a truck,is a 77 motor with a supposedly recent rebuild. Cant hear it run due to being on a stand,the trans was blown but engine saved,The owner says he has had it for about 4 years but the paint looks new. Found 1 rubber freeze plur painted over and the harm balncr has 3 bolts with sheared heads painted over. He did point out that it would need a new balncr but why?? Told me there were double springs but they only looked like the dampners. Have to say the valvetrain looked very clean but is it worth the investment as it sits???:???:

Here is my take. If it is a 440 block and you can get it at a good price then grab it. I always build my own engines so I would tear it down and check or replace everything that was not good. But they are getting harder to find and its always nice to have a spare 440 block. Ron

If its been rebuild then its probably been bored .030 over. It better be cheep because it doesn't sound like a runner. A 77 block is a strong block but the crank is cast. I just sold a 440 with std. bores for $250 it was an early engine with a steel crank and 915 heads.

I forgot to write the numbers but it was stamped 440-2 i believe and did have the date of 77 year wise. I also saw the truck it came out of & its a 77 dualy(?). He did offer to let me check out the bottom end if I bought a new oil pan gasket to replace his. He also said if i gave him a day or so he could get it running for me. Asking price is 600. It has the truck oil pan & p/u it also has a expandable freeze plug painted over.

Too much $$. Plus, he has no idea what's done to it. Call it a $300 core.

Well Dizzy, I guess it all depends on whether you want to pull some serious HP out of it. If it were me I'd offer him 3-400 bucks cuss I would basically replace all the rotating parts (hate cast cranks) and if the heads were either the 452's or 902's I'd open them up and reuse them.

Terry

IMHO:too much money for a Maybe rebuilt motor or what he calls rebuilt by paint can. Sorry been there and got a good looking motor except for a hole in the piston. Motor sounds like it had a hard life and if it did, The bores may need to be taken out to .040 or .060 which will make the Cyl walls thin if you can't use the .030 bores. If you can get him to pull a head to check the bore then do it, if he calls a damper and spring a dual spring and has broken damper bolts painted over be suspicous. If you only pull the pan see if you can pull a cap and check the bearing to see if it was rebuilt (After market bearing) use caution if this guy wants over $300.00 and can't prove its rebuilt.

After thinking about it and rereading the post.
RUN don't walk away from this joker! He sounds like a SCAM artist trying to sell junk for good money. I have 2 400 in my shed. One of them I paid $50 the other I paid $100.

Thanks for all the advice. He lives about 2 hours away so I dont plan on going up again unless he calls to make a good offer. I dont think i could get him to take a head off which is what i wanted. No hurry, ill find one in good shape soon. Everyone have a Great New Years. Thanks again. :cheers::happy10::cheers:

-
Back