440 Parts

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to be going through the 440 I bought for the dart. Not a engine man myself so will need some tips. This is not a rebuild, just a replace some seals, clean up and run as it is. Here is what I have planned any tips would be great! Thanks!

Going to tear apart heads and clean, replace valve seals. Stock replacements work ok?

Replacing oil pump.

New gasket kit.

New head bolt kit.

New freeze plugs.... advice on how to replace?

New timing chain... is it ok to just do the chain or should I get the gears also?

New damper.... looking for a cheap stock replacement. 440 source has one listed for internal balanced? Were factory motors balanced internally??

As you can tell this is going to be done as cheap as possible. Thanks in advance!! :cheers:

I understand a budget, but do not skimp on certain things. Save for them and buy stuff that is good quality, it'll save you hassle and money in the long run.
Example: tubular control arms, some members have bought the cheap kind that snap very easyily and then learned from other members that they should have spent 100 more bucks and got better parts. ONLY ADVICE I HAVE IS DO IT ONCE AND DO IT RIGHT!

But if I did it right the first time I wouldn't have anything to tinker with... j/k... I am basically trying to get by with what I can for now and build a better one while I am driving the car.... just needing something that operates good. Not worried about power and such for right now.

I am going to be going through the 440 I bought for the dart. Not a engine man myself so will need some tips. This is not a rebuild, just a replace some seals, clean up and run as it is. Here is what I have planned any tips would be great! Thanks!

Going to tear apart heads and clean, replace valve seals. Stock replacements work ok?

Replacing oil pump.

New gasket kit.

New head bolt kit. Dont need this

New freeze plugs.... advice on how to replace?

New timing chain... is it ok to just do the chain or should I get the gears also?Get a timing set.. chain and gears. Preferably double roller.

New damper.... looking for a cheap stock replacement. 440 source has one listed for internal balanced? Were factory motors balanced internally?? Dont need this unless the other has visbly shlipped. New in this case (cheap new) is much worse than old original functional.

As you can tell this is going to be done as cheap as possible. Thanks in advance!! :cheers:

Hope that helps

But if I did it right the first time I wouldn't have anything to tinker with... j/k... I am basically trying to get by with what I can for now and build a better one while I am driving the car.... just needing something that operates good. Not worried about power and such for right now.

I understand what you mean but "if it was me" I would save up and buy everything I absolutely wanted for it new and then whenever you get everything you want, put it together instead of peiceing it here and there. Just my 2 cents which 2 cents. Good luck on your build!

I agree you dont need the new head bolt kit for sure!

Thanks for the info man... I am thinking I might take the block, heads, rods, and crank in to be machined. Then I think I will get the specs and put the beast together myself with some new parts.... Gonna have to get a good book for this one.. any suggestions? Thanks!

why not buy a running junk yard motor and build the one you have and take time to research everything carefully.

Well that was my original plan... I have a 440 now that is complete but I noticed a mouse had gotten into the heads and made nests.... So I pulled the heads to clean them and was thinking about just putting a gasket kit in and running the motor the way it is until I can get one built the way I want.... Just not sure what route to go yet.

The motor is a 74 440 HP. I pulled it apart yesterday and found it has a double roller timing chain, and a windage tray. I was thinking about just putting in a cheap summit cam, and then some valve seals and such. What do you guys think?

I'd replace the timing set too just as a matter of course. Valve seals, the small Summit cam, I'd also replace the valve springs with a cheap performance spring (MP, Comp, whatever) and let it rip.

I basically did what you are discussing here. Just got it going last week or so.

Picked up a 440 that was supposedly a runner. I tore it down, checked it over and replaced all gaskets and threw a timing chain in it. I discovered that it had a MP cam in it already, the .450-.455 one. There was a Street Dominator intake on my shelf and some Schumacher headers.

It runs well and pretty strong for what it is.

One recommendation. Check over your oil pump pretty closely. Mine had a stuck bypass valve that caused some grief. Once that was fixed, all was well.

It really didn't cost that much for paint, gaskets etc.

Oh.......one more thing. The Felpro gasket set I bought did not come with an oil pump gasket or the proper water pump gaskets. You may be surprised, but I could not find an on the shelf oil pump gasket in the entire town of 30K plus people. I have ran into that twice now.

Hope this helps.

ROB

Thanks Rob, Sounds like you did just what I am wanting to do for now. I live in a town where there used to be a GM plant... and I can tell you its amazing you go to the parts store and they have Chevy parts right out in the open for sale but anytime I need something for a Mopar it has to be ordered.... Oh well! A note on the oil pump, I was thinking about just replacing it... but is there a way I can inspect it? Or test it? If I can use what I already have it would help out a lot. Thanks!

I know that the "correct" thing to do is to tell you to replace everything. That will get you the most internet brownie points!

But some have budgets etc and can't do everything just because. I would not skimp on timing chain, gaskets or seals etc. Something like the oil pump you could inspect. Check the relief valve for sure, make sure it moves. Look at the gears for wear etc.

I would get the how to rebuilt your big block book, it has a white . It actually has some pretty good stuff in it. I used mine alot.

In my case the engine was a runner so I got off easy. I did check things over pretty good.

ROB

-
Back