440 pistons

-

72demon440

Reaction score
going to be taking my 68 440 block to the machine shop to be bored! I am not sure what it will be bored to but I am looking for a good set of pistons at a reasonable price! not sure what brand to buy. looks like alot of the sets are around 500.00 bucks or more! can any one recommend a brand or type of piston. Want to be at 10 to 1 and will be using stock 906 heads. any advice will be great! trying to keep the cost down so nothing too outrageous! thanks, jared

We will assume its going over by .030,so its a .030 over 440 piston or a stock 400 unit.You want to build a flat top motor and have it deck to zero deck height,and adjust compression with heads gasket thickness.The KB pistons or ICON pistons are a good choice.With the icon pistons,you can get a forged unit for a few bucks more and do what ever you want later in the build,the choice is yours,mrmopartech

Yes, have the machine shop measure before ordering pistons. I had one block that was .020 over from the factory (had an 'A' stamped on the pad). Would have had to bore it .060 over! Yes, could have gone that far but that would have been it. Needless to say, I got a different block.

The type of piston you get should depend on your intended use (or abuse) of the engine.

Not just that, but you need to have the shop bore (or hone) TO the pistons. Mic a piston, bore a hole....mic a piston, bore a hole.........if they won't do that, find another shop.

ok, Thanks for the advise. It will be a street motor. Ya, I will have them mike the bores and then I will order. I figured it would be about 500 for the pistons.
thanks again, jared

ok, Thanks for the advise. It will be a street motor. Ya, I will have them mike the bores and then I will order. I figured it would be about 500 for the pistons.
thanks again, jared

When you find out where the block will clean up, keep an eye out here and on fleabay. Sometimes you can find a good deal.

There's some decent deals on forged pistons on ebay right now.

-
Back