440 problems (take 2)... More known values

-
I just went to the COMP site and looked. There are four Xtreme grinds that wouild work good for your combo depending on your preference.
XE262H
XE268H
XE274H and
XE284H.
All of those are meant for low to moderate compression and are good and streetable. Knowing what I do about your combo and your stated goals, I would use the XE274H.

IDK if this cam is available in three bolt but if it were me I'd opt for a more modern cam. I'm not saying its the wrong cam or that it would not work well. What I am saying is from what I read about it its a replica of a cam that was designed decades ago

It is not a replica, Comps replica cams are called Factory Muscle. the 21-305-4 is their Magnum Muscle, "a step up from the original 383-440 magnum cam". call comp cuz I think for a few dollars more they will make it a 3 bolt

IDK if this cam is available in three bolt but if it were me I'd opt for a more modern cam. I'm not saying its the wrong cam or that it would not work well. What I am saying is from what I read about it its a replica of a cam that was designed decades ago

It is not a replica, Comps replica cams are called Factory Muscle. the 21-305-4 is their Magnum Muscle, "a step up from the original 383-440 magnum cam". call comp cuz I think for a few dollars more they will make it a 3 bolt
I went on the COMP site again and looked. I see what you said, that the Magnum Muscle cams are improved versions of the factory cams. One thing I also noticed in the foot notes is the Xtreme Energy cams are available in single bolt or three bolt. If you use the standard part number when ordering, they will ship a single bolt cam. By changing the first two digets in the part # to 23 they will send the three bolt version. The foot notes for the Magnum Muscle cams lacks this detail. May I ask you what it is about the Magnum Muscle grinds that you think is better than the Xtreme cams? Not trying to poo-poo your recommendation, I'm sure it would work fine but I've seen lots of builds similar to this in magazines that used the Extreme cams and got good results. Is there something I'm overlooking or missing?

I just went to the COMP site and looked. There are four Xtreme grinds that wouild work good for your combo depending on your preference.
XE262H
XE268H
XE274H and
XE284H.
All of those are meant for low to moderate compression and are good and streetable. Knowing what I do about your combo and your stated goals, I would use the XE274H.

I hate to be that guy, but when I click your link, I got a ford camshaft haha

I found the cam you posted. If I am not mistaken based on my research, the XE268H is the 3 bolt version of the XE274H.

I found the cam you posted. If I am not mistaken based on my research, the XE268H is the 3 bolt version of the XE274H.
Sorry, for whatever reason, you are mistaken. I got to their cams by searching COMP Cams and clicking the link for the online catalog. Once you get that click products, then cams then find Chrysler B/RB. Once you're there you'll see links for all the cam product lines.

Yeah I found it. I went ahead and ordered a 23-224-4 which is the XE274H grind with a 3 bolt configuration. Ordered a set of new lifters with it as well.

Will do!! Looks like I have a day off next week so hopefully I can get my spring height checker in and get the heads set up before that time comes. Should be able to get everything installed in a days time.

Now on to some oil question. I work at a local parts store and if I am not mistaken, the reason todays oil sucks is because of the zinc content. Modern engines are mainly roller or has a design that keeps the break in process a bit more simple and doesn't really need the same zinc content as older engines.

I called around to a few of my petrleum engineer friends that currently work for a few of the industries that refine and produce the oil for most retail stores. I was informed that the only oil in most parts stores that have a decent zinc content is the quaker state defy, royal purple, and ZR1 oil, all of which have a 600 PPM zinc content. I know that I can buy the additive to replace the missing content required for a flat tappet cam break in, but when is enough.... enough?

There is a ton of information on the web about cam break ins and whatoil to use, however I find it ridiculous that break in oil is so expensive, but only contains more zinc?

How often do you guys add the zinc additive into your normal oil changes, and what did you guys do for a break in. I would like to do this right the first time.

Thanks in advance

-
Back