440 question

-

Walker434

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've always been a small block guy but recently been getting the urge to have a big block. I've got a chance to buy one locally. It's in the car so I can hear it run. It's a 69 hp with 67 915 heads, edelbrock performer RPM manifold and MSD distributor. The guy is asking $2,000. Is this in the ball park assuming it doesn't use oil and sounds good?

He doesn't know the cam specs. Any help is appreciated. Just thought if this is a good price it might be fun to have for another project.

I would work the price down. When the engine is warmed up, pop the hood, and pull the breather from the valve cover, see how much blow-by smoke is coming out. Don't get hung up on the HP stamp. All 440s are great motors. The 915 heads may have the smaller 1.60" exhaust valves. 1.74" are the more desirable exhaust valves. Has there been any head work? 3 angle grind, 1.74" valves installed? Double roller timing chain? Some of the later engines had nylon cam gears, yours should not. Does this also have the MSD 6A unit or just the distributor? How is the idle? smooth or a tone of a larger cam? What is the oil pressure at warmed up? There is no need to over-cam these motors. The 440 is a very torquey engine. In my 440 powered Ramcharger, I could smash the brake down, press the gas, and the vehicle would move forward DRAGGING THE FRONT TIRES. This was a 3.21 geared 4x4 running 31" BFG tires. Enjoy the motor. My build was: 440+.030” 346 heads Edelbrock intake, Hooker headers, dual exhaust, double roller timing chain Hughes camshaft HE1423BL 214/223Deg. @.050” .470”I .504”E 112° Hughes has revised their cams, this one is no longer available.
Bronze valve guides. This cam gave great vacuum for the power brakes. Engine would suck down to 25" of Hg vacuum when letting off from a freeway speed, RPM was ~2400.
Good luck, enjoy.

Attachments

• HughesCam.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 242
i think that's way too much. i would never pay more than 700 for a running 440. if the guy can provide receipts for a rebuild that's been done then maybe

It's had work done, but it's hard to place a value on old improvements. If you like the way it sounds, stick an oil pressure gage on it and make sure it doesn't overheat, then pay what you're comfortable with. You could find cheaper and add some bolt ons for less than $2K - so if it was me I'd be looking in the $1K range assuming it ran well.

Ok thanks for the replies everyone. I'll go look in person check all of the things listed and probably offer him less if everything checks out good.

Hey guys, I've always been a small block guy but recently been getting the urge to have a big block. I've got a chance to buy one locally. It's in the car so I can hear it run. It's a 69 hp with 67 915 heads, edelbrock performer RPM manifold and MSD distributor. The guy is asking $2,000. Is this in the ball park assuming it doesn't use oil and sounds good?

He doesn't know the cam specs. Any help is appreciated. Just thought if this is a good price it might be fun to have for another project.

What would you pay for a 440 block, forged crank, RPM intake, MSD distributor and rods?

That's what it's worth. Because that's all you're really getting.

Everyone will say it's not worth it, I'd say if you can't build one for that price its a deal if it doesn't have issues. Just a stock rebuild with machine work is going to cost you $2000.

Everyone will say it's not worth it, I'd say if you can't build one for that price its a deal if it doesn't have issues. Just a stock rebuild with machine work is going to cost you $2000.

Big if. Last running engine I bought turned out to be a big pile O' crap

Big if. Last running engine I bought turned out to be a big pile O' crap

Well, that's why i said if, could be a good piece though. Pull the oil pan, a valve cover, maybe bore scope a cylinder or two. If the seller isn't cool with that tell 'em no deal.

I would work the price down. When the engine is warmed up, pop the hood, and pull the breather from the valve cover, see how much blow-by smoke is coming out. Don't get hung up on the HP stamp. All 440s are great motors. The 915 heads may have the smaller 1.60" exhaust valves. 1.74" are the more desirable exhaust valves. Has there been any head work? 3 angle grind, 1.74" valves installed? Double roller timing chain? Some of the later engines had nylon cam gears, yours should not. Does this also have the MSD 6A unit or just the distributor? How is the idle? smooth or a tone of a larger cam? What is the oil pressure at warmed up? There is no need to over-cam these motors. The 440 is a very torquey engine. In my 440 powered Ramcharger, I could smash the brake down, press the gas, and the vehicle would move forward DRAGGING THE FRONT TIRES. This was a 3.21 geared 4x4 running 31" BFG tires. Enjoy the motor. My build was: 440+.030” 346 heads Edelbrock intake, Hooker headers, dual exhaust, double roller timing chain Hughes camshaft HE1423BL 214/223Deg. @.050” .470”I .504”E 112° Hughes has revised their cams, this one is no longer available.
Bronze valve guides. This cam gave great vacuum for the power brakes. Engine would suck down to 25" of Hg vacuum when letting off from a freeway speed, RPM was ~2400.
Good luck, enjoy.

ouch.... bet your front tires hated you...........

I just sold an excellent running 440 for my hemi swap. If in the car...run it...drive it...have him whoop on it a bit and see what happens.....watch oil and temp gauges...make him idle it a while and then see how it pulls away...."starting" at 2k is better than 4 to 6 for a new motor if in a $$$ squeeze. With those heads,he could part it out for over 1K easilly

I just bought a fresh 440 short block(cast pistons)with the mp 280-.474 cam for $750.
$2000 is more than I would want to pay but if it runs well you could not build one for that.I would have to know what pistons are in it and the compression ratio before I would make an offer.

-
Back