440 $ Rebuildable worth?

-

oneway71

Reaction score
I have a friend with a few 440's. We have been talking and I may be able to pick one up for the Duster.
Questions

What is a rebuildable 440 worth? What do I offer, without insulting him, and still get a good deal?

Are there any 440's that I need to stay away from? Or are all of them good? Any bad years?

Where can I find info on casting numbers? years?

Thanks

Around here they go for $300-$500 range and that is a complete price. If it is an HP block or early block then they are more because of the forged crank. I have heard that all of the later blocks are low compression and need quite a bit of work to the heads to get them to flow. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more detailed info.

What documentation does he have with the engines? How good of a friend?

If he has receipts for parts and machine work it is worth much more than one that some guy says "has been rebuilt".

The later ones don't seem to go for as much. We sold a complete '76 440 that came out of a motorhome for $250, and it was for sale for a while at that price. Everyone wants the forged crank ones. $300-$600 seems reasonable.

The only real difference is the forged or cast crank.

If u rebuild it, you choose the compression, the heads are basically the same from 68 on. The 66-67 had closed chambers, and some had smaller exhaust valves.

What documentation does he have with the engines? How good of a friend?

If he has receipts for parts and machine work it is worth much more than one that some guy says "has been rebuilt".

He has a parts yard that has been closed for years. So the engines have not been rebuilt yet.

Thanks for all the replies.

I remember reading something a few years ago that said to stay away from '77 blocks because the "castings are thin." I dont know if this info was correct or not. Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks for all the replies.

I remember reading something a few years ago that said to stay away from '77 blocks because the "castings are thin." I dont know if this info was correct or not. Has anyone heard of this?

I wouldn't believe anything you hear about "thin castings". Unless you're pushing 700 horses, I don't think it will matter that much anyway. I have a '77 truck block in my car right now. If you're worried about block stability, you could always get a main stud girdle.

-
Back