440 six pack question

-
All "RB" (hi deck, long stroke) manifolds will interchange, so 413, 426, 440, and the old oddball 383 made for a short time in high deck, EXCEPT

the special intakes made for the "stage III" or "max wedge" heads, and I'm not sure about the heavy truck / motorhome engines.

For the six pack manifold do i still need the special valley pan intake gaskets, or do the regular style work with a six pack?

I have the motorhome "452" heads that were done by Paul Rossi on my 69 440 block with a six-pack. So no problem there. The motorhome blocks had holes in the deck that matched up with the heads to provide cooling to the cylinder head which helped on detonation.

I have always used the valley pan with a gasket on either side for my six-pack.
Rod

I'm not sure where all this comes from. The factory sixpack didn't use any special gaskets--just the valley pan

I am not sure why you would think I am new to mopars as I have had one for over 30 years and have a six pack car for over 25. You ought to do some homework before throwing out advice.

Here is what Edelbrock recommends.

CARBURETOR CHOKE TYPE PARTS REQUIRED FOR INSTALLATION
OEM Qty. 3 x 2-BBL (“Six-Pack”) OEM OEM Linkage, Throttle Cable, Throttle Brackets
• GASKETS: Do not use competition-style intake gaskets for this street manifold. Due to material deterioration over time, internal leakage of
vacuum and oil may occur. NOTE: YOU MUST USE a factory metal valley tray gasket along with the Edelbrock gaskets listed below.
If your stock valley tray is in good condition, it may be reused.
©2006 Edelbrock Corporation
Brochure #63-2475

That is why I have always used a valley pan and gaskets and never had a problem.

Cheers

exactly... he is new to mopars so that normally wouldn't be there...

He's correct. If you order the 6pac intake gasket it comes with a Valley pan - AND - thin paper gaskets.

I never used them. Silicone and metal pan works best. Thin SS shims can be cut into the pan and exhaust Xover can be blocked off adding 10hp. Unfortunately a thermal chokewill be disabled by this, and you'll lose 1mpg

-
Back