440 source 470 stroker .005 piston to wall ?

-

73dart360

Reaction score
440 source says make the piston to wall clearance on my 470 stroker kit .005, Forged Icon pistons, it is not a race motor ,does that seem like alot of play even with expansion will i get piston slap? can somebody that has built this chime in .

that's right they will scuff if you don't, My Ross pistons were .006

Ross said if you run nos you need .012-.015 same with turbo or supercharged

Icon instructions are pretty clear. NA bores larger than 4.10 go .004-.005. I think you're fine even at .006. The new alloys don;t expand as much, even under racing conditions so most applications running a modern alloy are tighter than us older guys might remember.

Icon instructions are pretty clear. NA bores larger than 4.10 go .004-.005. I think you're fine even at .006. The new alloys don;t expand as much, even under racing conditions so most applications running a modern alloy are tighter than us older guys might remember.
Moper where would you set them at what #

The instructions are on the KB-Silvolite site if you go into the piston part number detail. There's a link for special clearance info, then another link for installation guides. Might be a faster way but that's how I found it. Where I would set it depends on what it's going to be doing and who's doing it. For no power adders and a heavy foot I'd go .005. Loose tends to be faster at the track but will wear the rings out faster.

The instructions are on the KB-Silvolite site if you go into the piston part number detail. There's a link for special clearance info, then another link for installation guides. Might be a faster way but that's how I found it. Where I would set it depends on what it's going to be doing and who's doing it. For no power adders and a heavy foot I'd go .005. Loose tends to be faster at the track but will wear the rings out faster.
Moper i appreciate it ill have a heavy foot once in a while but not too often -track once a year- no roll bar so ill probably get kicked out after 1 or 2 runs

Is that actually .005 piston-to-wall clearance, or is it a bore .005 bigger than the piston diameter (which would be .0025 piston to wall)?

-
Back