440 source "ultra light" crankshafts

-

UDUST81

Reaction score
Anybody run one of these? im getting ready to finally purchase my stroker kit and was just wondering if anyone had one in their car with street miles? is it worth the extra $150? or would the possible loss of durability even be worth it? im gonna be running a main stud girdle as well but youd think lighter rotating weight could help prevent cap walk? thanks! love to hear what you guys have to say!

The weight of the crank has nothing to do with its strength.

I've run one they no longer offer, the 4.15" lightened crank. It's been in my motor for 5K miles with no issues. My pistons weighed in at 509.5 grams and I'm running a 7.1" chevy journal rod. The thing spins up like a small block chevy too. Don't know the bob weight, but its light. I had no signs of cap walk with a girdle either, which was nice to see at the 700+hp level.

However, I am getting a small amount of oil out through the pilot bearing hole, it was gun drilled, and now that the motor is apart for a piston change, I'll re-plug that. Double check or smear some sealant in there if you get one for good measure.

Last edited:
I've got one of these on hand for my in progress build. I ran the decision by my machinist and he was all for it. I trust his opinion

I've got one of these on hand for my in progress build. I ran the decision by my machinist and he was all for it. I trust his opinion

Just double check that pilot hole with a pressure test or simply add another plug or some sealant for good measure. It was an odd oil leak that fouled my clutch and scatter shield twice.

I never suspected a leak there and thought its was coming from my transmission input shaft, as the oil had been turned black by the wear of the organic material on the clutch discs. Once I swapped in my Passon 5 speed, the leak persisted and my suspicions focused on the pilot hole.

Had a leak at the pilot bushing hole in a 383 that we built in 1975.
What a mess it made and ruined a brand new clutch. Check it.

-
Back