440 Steering Pump bracket question...

-

Button

74 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I'm looking at acquiring an 83 Ramcharger with a 440. The 440 was pulled from a 77-78 motorhome complete with its 727 transmission with roughly 47,000 miles on it. For whatever reason, the powersteering bracket wasn't pulled/used on the RamCharger. What I want to know is this, do all 440's, (without A/C) use the same power steering bracket/mount system?
Also, from looking at the pictures of the motor, (I only have these two that he sent me till I see it in person tomorrow) is there anything anyone notices that is unusual. I already see the missing dip stick.

Attachments

• engine left.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 551
  • engine right.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 632
Unless it's been repainted, it didn't come out of anything after '70 or so. Looks like a cast crank balancer though. Strange they would paint it orange if it only has 47K on it. Check the block numbers to verify year and size. Junk the air cleaner, fuel filter, and upper radiator hose for sure. I assume you're going to keep it an automatic otherwise you'll have a hell of time getting a flywheel to work. As for the P/S setup, they made quite a few different systems. Do you have a photo of the pump you'll be using? Starting in about '73 the block had some extra bosses to use the later P/S brackets. Most of the earlier setups bolted to the water pump housing. Something doesn't look right on the water pump pulley. For no A/C it should be a much larger diameter. More detailed pics would help.....

Cudamark,
Thanks for replying. First off, I did get this Ramcharger today! Secondly, he did paint the motor that orange when he pulled it from the motorhome, I believe he said it had been blue?!?! Yes, I will be replaceing the rad hoses, fuel lines and filter. I wait on the airfilter till I replace the carb. Has a crappy Rochester on it and I've been told I should go with a Thermoquad, is that correct?
The steering pump is still connected to it's lines and lies under the battery tray and has a pulley attached. I will get pictures Tuesday and have them posted on here right away.
The headers are Hedman. It needs new header gaskets badly though. Should I go through Hedman to get new ones are these kind of universal? Might sound like a stupid question but I've never had headers on any of my vehicles before.
Also, where is the engine block serial number located? Couldn't find it anywhere.

Yea, the original color would have been the blue. You might want to try the Quadrajet since it's already on there but usually a good Thermoquad is the best street carb for a 440. The header gaskets can come from any brand, not just Hedman (are they still around?). If you can't get them to seal, the stock truck manifolds work ok for a street motor. The engine can be I.D.'d by looking at the block number above the starter. It will have the 7 digit casting number followed by the engine size (supposedly 440 in your case). Another place that will give you more info is the 2 X 3" machined pad at the front upper part of the block just forward of the intake and slightly to the driver's side of center. It will have a year code followed by the engine size. The year code should be a number indicating the year if it's a '74 or newer engine. If it's a letter, it's an earlier block. Starting with B for 1966 and ending with J for 1973 (they skipped I). Other info on that pad is the assembly date and internal engine info such as E for a cast crank, HP for high performance, a Maltese cross for one-off bearing sizes, etc. If you find something stamped that you don't understand, give us a shout......

Cudamark,
I have attached two pictures of the pump with its small block brackets still attached as well as the pulley.
The dat pad on the front of the block said the following and I decoded it accordingly, 6T440 TE (at top of pad) and 12 3 (at bottom of pad).
6= 1976
T= Trenton plant
440= eng size
T= truck
E= cast crank
12= December
3= 3rd of month

Also got the following cast numbers off of the passenger side/bottom of the block; 9 25 75 (first line), 4006630-440-7 (second line), and just below all this was, DN. Any ideas what all this means? I'm thinking the block was cast on Sept 25, 1975, and was then assembled 3 December 1976? The guy said it came from a 77 motorhome.

Attachments

• 000_2162.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 535
  • 000_2164.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 511
  • 000_2161.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 446
  • 000_2160.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 434
Your pump looks like one off a small block which is what the Ramcharger probably had originally so the pulley is probably wrong too. Can you post a good photo of the front of the block on the drivers' side? You may end up having to get a big block pump with brackets and pulley.

I went to the Wrench-A-Part yard this afternoon and looked under EVERY truck and van hood there and never saw a big block! I wasn't able to get any engine bay stuff other than a battery hold down strap! Would a 440 power steering pump from a car work if I were to find one? Or from any Big Block for that matter?

-
Back