440 stroker K&B crank

-

chuckstirrr

Reaction score
does any one remember about 20 years ago hot rod mag, had an story about a 440 with a Keith black stroker crank producing 900 foot pounds of tork at 6000 rpm, I now have the same 440 with this same crank bought 20 years ago by my brother in law, when he got the motor home he had found the crank had a hair line crack at the snout where the balancer goes on, the crack runs up the snout not around it, why can't this be v-ground and then welded then run a lite weight balancer, this motor was in a running car when he bought it, 20-years ago, and has been setting since, I got the short block from him a couple of days ago, it's a 440 block,K&B stroker crank 5/8 inch stroke , hemi rods, 400 piston, deep oil pan and a milodon oiling system, So if it runs 1-1/4 mile or 50 what have I got to loose

I would have it carefully x-rayed first. Any visible crack is only a small part of the total crack, and if it breaks, it can take a lot with it. A friend got a killer deal on a fueler carnk like that. Teh thought being if it took 6K hp, it can take under 1000 forever. It make 870 ont he dyno, and when it did come apart ont he cars second full pass, it took the right corner off the block, brock the Indy head, took the right tire off it's rim, and ran the car into the wall. He was fine. Car was repairable. but that crank deal cost him over $3K in chassis, body, and paint, plus a new engine from the block up.

I found out the hard way when I bought a Velasco billet stroker from a drag racer for a hemi, turns out a blower bulley is no substitue for a harmonic balancer! That thing has a million tiny cracks in it! I had it magnafluxed.

-
Back