440 timing

-

71d3m0n

Reaction score
i am running a 71 demon with a 440 what should i be running for timing initial and total?
440 30 over
906 heads cleaned up ports
10;1 comp trw pop ups
comp cam 263@50 613 lift solid roller
1050 dominator
727 man rev valvebody 3000stall
8.75 4.56 spool

A motor like that will probably want around 38 degrees total and my guess would be at least 15 initial. It will all depend of course on the specifics of your motor - and what your distributor will allow for the spread. My motor is a bit more "high strung" than that and I run about 24 initial and 38 total.

im running 15 36 right now .seems to idle low and if i try to get more idle from carb it throws things outa wack .if i turn timing up it idles better . the car is pretty loud but i dont hear any detonation .im just learning about dist curves . its a mp dizzy

i had it on the dyno last week .a shop in town just got it . it was 388hp and 525 tq to the wheels . but the dyno rpm and car rpm were 1300rmp off so i thimk he did it wrong? hp and tq never droped off it went strait to peak and stayed there so im trying to figure out tune .thank you for the info

What octane fuel are you running? If you have 93 I would be surprised if you would get any detonation where you are with a fairly big cam like that. Without changing your distributor curve try bumping it up and see what it likes. Sounds like you'll pick up some rpm at idle in which case just back out the carb some.

i run 91 octane . is all we have from pump but it really likes when i feed it 100 octane.i know it will like more timing if i can keep it from detonating

let me suggest checking a few of the plugs ground straps. the strap should discolor from the tip to the 90* for the best timing. 91 octane will be fine with 10-1 on the street but use the 100-110 at the strip as it will make more power as you noticed.

My impression is that cam and compression will make it a little soggy. You can add initial to help that. I'd go right up to 20° as long as the starter will turn it. Just remember to back the centrifical back down so total remains at 36°. You may want to read up on tuning a Dominator too. "it throws things out of whack" is more a case of needing to tune that carb. The up side is - everything is tunable on it. You just need to know how.
And yes - my impression is that dyno is screwed up. I hope they didnt charge you for it.

-
Back