440 tuning troubles

-

74duster

Reaction score
I have a mid seventies 440 in my Duster. It has a Holley 750 dual feed, single pump carb with vacuum secondaries, an older Edelbrock dual plane intake, Schumacker headers and factory heads (previous owner claims to have done a home port job on them,but he also made other claims that were proven false, so I don't know if he did or not). I don't know cam size, but it is not radical.
Car idles ok, but stumbles and pops through the carb on hard acceleration. After the stumble and pop, it is fine.
At first I thought this was a timing problem. I figured it must have too much advance, and is firing before the intake valve closes. After retarding the timing ( I don't remember exactly how far, but it was a lot), the problem still exists. So I returned the timing to where it was before(10 BTD).
I replaced the power valve and it made no difference. Vacuum reads about 13 or 14 and the power valve is a 6.5.
I tried changing the squirter, and worked my way from a 31 up to a 37. At this point, the pop was gone, but it smoked when you stepped on it. I went back to a 35 and the pop returned. I went back to the 37 and the pop was still there.
Now I am really getting confused.
I got a 625 AFB from my brother, and a Holley 750 double pumper from a friend of mine to see if this problem is actually a carb problem or not. (Haven't had a chance to try the Carter yet) With the double pumper on, the stumble is gone, but the pop is still there.
At one point I checked the timing chain, and there seems to be about 7 or 8 degrees of slop in it. I don't know if this is too much or not.
Did a compresssion test before putting the engine in the Duster, and everything seemed ok (don't remember the numbers now, but all cylinders were within 5 PSI of each other)
I am lost and frustrated. Can someone give me some guidance on this?
Thanks,
Rob

Have you checked the plugs closely? The ceramic might have a hairline crack. Have you set the acc pump? (WOT and should be like .015 play??I think?) You may need to change the acc pump cam to a different profile.

I set the acc pump for best response, didn't check with feeler gauge. I haven't changed the pump cam, because I didn't want to spend more money on carb parts without knowing for sure that this is a carb problem. Do you think this is a carb problem?
The spark plugs are all new.

I set the acc pump for best response, didn't check with feeler gauge. I haven't changed the pump cam, because I didn't want to spend more money on carb parts without knowing for sure that this is a carb problem. Do you think this is a carb problem?
The spark plugs are all new.

Pump cam kits aren't that expensive, but try the carter to see if it still does it. Although the plugs are new, they can be cracked fresh out of the box. Seen that on quite a few occasions.

Does this only happen under the first part of acceleration? If so, it sounds like a carb issue, but can't say for sure since I am not there.

Yes, it does only happen on the first part of acceleration. I will try the carter and check the plugs tomorrow.
I will let you know what happens.
Thanks,
Rob

You need to rebuild the carb from the sound of it. I like the AED aftermarket kits with the reusable nylon bowl washers, float adjustment washers, and gaskets. I would also invest in the vacuum pod spring assortment, as I think the secondaries are opening too early. Also, I think the spec on the acc pump lever is .010, but I adjust so there is no play at your final idle speed setting. Also verify (pull them off and look) that all your spark plug wires are intact and not burnt at the boots.

The car wouldn't even start with the AFB on it. I don't have any explanation for that.....
So I went back to my original 750. I changed the acc pump cam, readjusted the pump arm, and tied the choke open (I think it may have been contributing to the problem).
Now when I stomp on it in first gear from a rolling start, there is no stumble or pop through the carb...only radial tire screaming for mercy as it gets lit up!:cheers:
Thank you guys for taking the time to help!=D>=D>
Rob
:burnout:

sounds more like an intake valve leaking and popping back thru the carb under accelleration,or lean condition on primary side.you will need to do a leak down test on the cylinders to verify this.a compression test wouldn't hurt.but sounds like a problem with an intake valve.or possibly a bad plug wire.if it is a valve problem it could be a sunk valve from not having hardened seats and running unleaded fuel or homeboy valvejob or mr port nicked a seat when performing the porting work.this is just my opinion.....I'm sure their are some hemi guy's out there to chop me off at the knees for offering up my opinion but the way I see it an engine is an engine...besides a slanty is practically a hemi!!! :cheers:

-
Back