440 wont idle in gear or where it should, in park.

-

mc-g

Reaction score
Hey gents. I have a stock mid 70's year 440 in my Dart. It won't idle while in, park, in the rpm range it should. When i DO get it idling close to right, it surges lightly and it dies when i put it in to gear....also bogs when turning corners. The idle raises when the car is rolling down the road, and it falls on its face and backfires when i shove my foot in it. It has a Eddy 750 carb on it:)-(). I did the 'ol carb cleaner trick around the intake and base of the carb...no leaks there. I havent tried sucking on the vacuum advance line yet. Its just running very inconsistent, but when its right it runs like a fast grunting boar! any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I wanna get to really driving this thing dangit!!!
Matt

What ignition system is on the car and have you checked the fuel pressure and float levels,as this sounds like a fuel starvation problem,mrmopartech 450 424 0445

If the ignition is good, how much initial timing? I usually set it at around 12-16 even on stock 440's. Might have to limit mechanical in the distributor.

When it's running look down the carb at idle and see if any fuel is dripping in. There should be none. If there is, see the next sentence.

As mentioned check fuel pressure, set it with a regulator at 5 psi. Nay more and it may blow fuel past the needle and seat assemblies.

IMO, Eddy 750's are not very good carbs. They have a ton of issues.

Good luck

I rebuilt the carb when i got the car. cleaned it thoroughly including all passageways inside. Checked and rechecked my float measurements. I haven't gotten into fuel pressure yet. Doing what i can as i go.

it has the mopar electronic ignition. my buddy set the timing for me. with the vacuum advance off it was just over 10degrees before top dead center.

this car sat but was maintained for 10 years...then sat for a year or two. I got all the old fuel out and flushed the lines. Part of me is thinking i need to drop the tank, and have it flushed and coated inside.

as a side note...im not a fan of this carb either. its quite finnicky!

I'm gonna go buy an inexpensive vacuum gauge and fuel pressure gauge after work. How much vacuum should the motor be pulling? Thanks for replies fellas! I'm lost but trying to learn.
Matt

Any recommendations for carbs? I have an old thermoquad laying around. I'm sure it needs rebuilt, and I'm sure it's not like an eddy where you can just go pick up a kit

-
Back