440 wrist pin noise?

-

Gwywnc

Reaction score
I have a 440 duster and it started to make a sound 45 seconds after starting that was only on the passenger side that sounds like nuts and bolts rattling in a metal coffee can. At first I thought it was a broke valve spring but I was wrong. I have no way of removing the engine so I took the oil pan off cause someone said it was a wrist pin. Well I took the oil pan off and its was clean. No sludge no metal flakes if any size. The piston rods were tight and everything looked perfect. If there is damage or something wrong with it would I be able to see the damage? What should I look for? Also I had the exhaust manifold welded a while back because it was grinder down and it blew threw. They put a peice of metal to strengthen it but it's all cracked. The sound was coming from the middle right where the exhaust manifold was fixed. Thanks for any and all help. I have no one to ask that know anything about this.

"nuts and bolts rattling in a metal coffee can" is a classic bad torque converter sound.

It would start making that noise about 45 seconds after start up but the sound would go away or seem to go away when I put it in reverse and drive. Also the sound seemed to come from the passenger side middle top of the engine. And when I crawled under it the sound seemed to come above my head and it the touqe converter area.

I'll but that your noise is the converter. I had the same thing happen to me. It sounded like the rods were coming out through the pan.
When the trans is in "park" (and it has a stock valve body) there is no fluid going to the converter. That's why the noise seems to go away when you put it in gear.

Ted

Last edited:
I'll but that your noise is the converter. I had the same thing happen to me. It sounded like the rods were cumming out through the pan.
When the trans is in "park" (and it has a stock valve body) there is no fluid going to the converter. That's why the noise seems to go away when you put it in gear.

Ted
The noise only comes from the passenger side at the head it sounds like. When I climb under it the sounds not at the converter or the pan it's above my head at the head or exhaust manifold. I had work done on the exhaust manifold and when I took it off it was cracked. I had a guy look at it and swear that's the problem but I can't see how that could make all that noise.

Exhaust leak for sure.
As the manifold heats up the crack grows and the noise get worse. When you put it in gear the rpm drops, the exhaust cools off and the crack shrinks. When you take off, the exhaust heats up. The harder you press the gas, the faster it heats up.
Temperature at the port exit can vary from 200 to 400 at idle and hit 600 pretty quick.
A bad wrist pin can be found much like a bad rod. Just pull the plug wires off one atta time. When you find the right one, the noise quietens right down.
A bad wrist pin is a rhythmic; tictic---tictic---tictic---tictic

Last edited:
-
Back