440 Z bar question.

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
I know this is more of a 4 speed question but it pertains to my 440 4 speed swap:
My 67 Barracuda is a /6 3 speed manual, when I go to do the swap will I need a special z bar or will the one on it work?
I will be running headers of some sort, if that matters.... Thanks, Dennis.

I know this is more of a 4 speed question but it pertains to my 440 4 speed swap:
My 67 Barracuda is a /6 3 speed manual, when I go to do the swap will I need a special z bar or will the one on it work?
I will be running headers of some sort, if that matters.... Thanks, Dennis.

totally different z-bar will be needed ....the slant six one is about 8 inches IIRC ....the big block one is shorter and one of the tabs has a bend to it so it kicks to one side.

The best way is a re-pop BB z-bar kit from brewers ....expensive but a bolt in time saver. The re-pop is real nice quality, I have a re-pop one and an original one and the re-pop was done very well.

As far as your headers, you may have a huge issue there but I cant help with that because I used original A-body BB manifolds. Headers are probably the cheaper way to go but someone else will have chime in regarding the headers.

The repop will work with the bell for the 10.5" clutch/130-tooth flywheel. It will not work for the bell for the 143-tooth wheel/11" clutch. We custom made all of the linkage for both of my sons' four speed A-bodies...

I have a 68 fastback with a 440 6pack 4sp and 11 inch clutch. I had to fab mine.. it's not all that hard ..just time consuming. You can use a 10 1/2 in small block cut it down... the challenging part is making the part that it pivots on.

I have the linkage modified with gussets and heim ends and set up for a lakewood scattershield. PM me if you want dimensions/details.

-
Back