440?

-

Jplush

Reaction score
I am redoing a '68 Duda vert. She currently has no drivetrain. I have mainly been looking at small blocks but have ran across something else locally. A 440 with 915 heads and 727 tranny out of '66 Imperial. Worth 800 and the conversion?

IMO stay with a SB. You can buy or build a stroked SB with similar hp & torque & it'd drop right in.........

IMO stay with a SB. You can buy or build a stroked SB with similar hp & torque & it'd drop right in.........

if you do the same upgrades to the big block, it`ll have more power than the small block. If I were to do another, I`d stroke a small block. the big blocks are harder to do, and work on . whatever u do, don`t put raised port heads on the big block unless its a race car.

Trans wont work. Long tailshaft. I could be wrong but I think mount pad is in a different location too. Prob need a BB 727 short tailshaft trans. (Needle in the haystack these days)

Unless the 440 is on a diet plan its pretty heavy. For the wow factor thats great, but you would be better off with a stroker small block on a diet plan. Car will handle better, and packaging it with a SB is much easier.

I think you said its a connie. If so subframe connectors should be welded in before anything else.

Thanks guys! Think I'll just stick with the SB! I was curious more than anything, seemed like a good price so I pondered.

Trans wont work. Long tailshaft. I could be wrong but I think mount pad is in a different location too. Prob need a BB 727 short tailshaft trans. (Needle in the haystack these days)

Unless the 440 is on a diet plan its pretty heavy. For the wow factor thats great, but you would be better off with a stroker small block on a diet plan. Car will handle better, and packaging it with a SB is much easier.

I think you said its a connie. If so subframe connectors should be welded in before anything else.

The trans would work and mount up to his existing cross member. The long tail shaft 727 is the same on small blocks and big blocks externally except where they mount to the block which is different of course. They are the same length.
Since he's going with a small block, this is a moot point now anyway.........:burnout:

The trans would work and mount up to his existing cross member. The long tail shaft 727 is the same on small blocks and big blocks externally except where they mount to the block which is different of course. They are the same length.
Since he's going with a small block, this is a moot point now anyway.........:burnout:

Yep, thats why i said i wasnt sure. I thought A bodies used a short tailshaft automatic. Maybe because i am into 4 speed A's and they use a short shaft A-833. Good to know. Thanks.

well , thats a cool swap , and if you use a 727 w / b , rb , la in front of it . with proper bellhousings of course , it won't care what motor it is . the 727 trans is one length , the loadflite is the special one . and if you have not changed the r/e you will be , so the driveshaft is going to get cut , but the la motors are way easier to change spark plugs on .

I get excited every time I lift the hood of my Demon and see that 440 with a six pack set-up. Nothing beats the feeling of driving an A-body with a big block. The difference in the transmissions is the input shaft and torque converter. Iv'e done the swap a couple of times. I know that the 67 and earlier 727's had a different spline count and finding a converter if you ever decided to change from stock may be difficult. Engine swap kits are available as with the tri-y headers. Easy - peasy.

Kenny B

-
Back