451 stroker?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Can't wait to get started. I've got the 400 block and a 440 crank and a new set of headers an intake and i'm ready for some details. Tell me about your cam choice and other little details so i can continue gathering parts. Heads will be 906 cast with my port and polish job. I'll start tearing the 400 apart tomorrow evening so chime in when you get inspired. I've had engine done by others before but this will me my first. I've gathered some knowledge along the way but the most important knowledge is to take good advice so throw some at me. I've got some info from moparmat over on BBD so i'm not totally in the dark. Thanks guys and gals.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD BLOCK CASTING!!!(not yelling)I will talk to a buddy that runs one about his cam and such.I dont think its as big as you would think.

Cam it using any of the catalogs. You're basically building a 440. So like was asked... what are you using it for?

It's going in a 67 Valiant 100 2 dr post. The 170 is coming out. Not a whole lot of street use. No back seat and will probably do some buckets in front.

Checked over on BBD and searched the archives and found much discussion on this very subject and after reading i'm considering doing a stroked 440 up in the 5-6 hundred range. No substitute for horse power and cubes. Give me your opinions please.

With a B wedge, I wouldnt go larger than 465" That's 3.915 stroke and the 4.35 bore. The pistons are tall enough to last a while, you can run a tight quench and not worry about rocking, and the heads don't need to be MW port size, which is very limited when it comes to intake choices for the B block. With a mild set of RPMs and a flat tappet (cost savings) the 550hp level is easy on pump gas. Might not seem like a big deal, but the last VP C12 I bought was $8/gallon. Sure makes $4 look cheap.

Hey small block. my buddy builds engine. he has built a 451 for his duster. it is naturally aspirtated and runs a dominator. he is running 9.20 1/4's on the motor only. no nos on this car. he could be alot of. let me know if you ever need his # for questions.he is retired so is home most of the time.

Cam it using any of the catalogs. You're basically building a 440. So like was asked... what are you using it for?

Pretty much ,but you gotta love that it revs like a small block due to way lighter [than 440] pistons and weighs a lot less with more room in the compartment and is a more ridged [shorter] block.

rm - good link. That's a great overview. But now 440Source has a special B wedge 3.75 stroke crank with smaller counterweights. By the time you have a standard forged crank magged, stroke corrected, turned and polished, and the mains made smaller, you still have a factory crank with turned down journals. With Brandons, it drops in place, is all std size and nitrided, and has good radii. It's and easy drop in at that point. That was new only a year 1/2 ago.

-
Back