46re clutch pack specs

-

ozz383

Reaction score
I have found 2 different specs on the clutch packs. I have the atsg book but having problems getting the specs right on the one clutch. Just wanting to double check before I go any farther. Thanks in advance ozz

I haven't done a 46 but I have done a bunch of 727's and since the front end is nearly the same I'd think the clutch clearance would be also. For the rear clutch I shoot for .040~.050" clearance and for the front clutch I use the .012~.015" per clutch disc rule. In other words if it's a 4 disc drum .048~.060 is optimum. All measurements are taken with dry clutches of course. Sorry but I don't know what the OD clutch specs should be.

Do you have an assortment of selective snap rings? Which clutch are you having trouble with?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta1Wunn2cdc"]Dodge A318 (46RE) Transmission Teardown - YouTube[/ame]

ATSG rebuild video for the overdrive....

Thanks for the info. It was the direct clutch. I got ahold of a guy at the dealership and he gave me .070 to .120 this drum has no adjustment with the selective snap rings just with clutches and steels Thanks again ozz

Thanks for the info. It was the direct clutch. I got ahold of a guy at the dealership and he gave me .070 to .120 this drum has no adjustment with the selective snap rings just with clutches and steels Thanks again ozz

Ok. So the clearance is about as broad as the spec for a 727, just go about getting it differently. Do they have different thicknesses of clutch plates and steels? I always like them on the tighter side of spec so they last longer. What are you coming up with?

Just some helpful info on this man,if yer planning on bumping up line psi in there @ all (eather way) in the direct clutch shoot for the looser end of the specs! Thease torque flights are known for 2-3 shift bind up or 2-3 shift flair (less common on healthy trannys) that way you can adjust front band to spec or a little snuger (72 in lbs back off 1 1/2 turns) & it should have nice positive 1-2 shift & 2-3 shift should be quick & smooth. No feeling of slight slow down then bump into gear. or rev & bump into gear. i ended up adding a second spring in the front band servo to help cure my 2-3 bind up in my 47RH & man that did it! Take a look @ the 1970 & earlyer front servo set up's 2 return springs. hope it helps ya man!

Thanks for all the info. By the original specs I had it was to tight, with the new specs its just fine. Just finished up the od section. Gonna air ck everything the finish up the install on the transgo kit in the valvebody.

The direct clutch clearance is dependent on the shift timing release of the kick down band. So it depends on what shift modifications you do to the valve body and kick down servo.

When you tighten the clearance on the direct clutch, it will apply faster. If the band releases slow, you will get binding with both applied.

If you have modified the valve body and the servo to release quicker, you can run .060-.070 clearance with no problems. The factory set the clearance looser at .070-.120 because the servo releases slowly and they want a smooth shift going into high.

You can tell when you are binding as the shift is hesitant and has a braking affect. When the timing is right, it snaps much like the first-second shift.

The easiest way is to err on the loose side. If you know how to set up your valve body and servo right, you can go tight.

-
Back