46RE ticks in all gears except reverse

-
The spare I have came from another 46re I picked up as a core, but there was so much damage it wasn't worth rebuilding. There's a guy out here in Oregon I've gotten parts from for years, Mmerlinn.com. Another one you might check is Whatever It Takes; lots of stock, but their prices seem to be a little higher.

So it was the torque converter after all. The .030" runout I measured (yet wasn't overly concerned about) ended up being the culprit, just enough to tap the back of the block on the way by, and the ring gear weld seam is right at the highest point. After sitting outside all this time, the front of the ring gear developed some rust, and it was wiped clean where it was hitting. I pulled the T/C bolts, slid a thin washer (about .020") between the flexplate and each converter lug, and reinstalled the bolts. Nice and quiet. Now to come up with a permanent fix that hopefully doesn't involve pulling the trans out.

So it was the torque converter after all. The .030" runout I measured (yet wasn't overly concerned about) ended up being the culprit, just enough to tap the back of the block on the way by, and the ring gear weld seam is right at the highest point. After sitting outside all this time, the front of the ring gear developed some rust, and it was wiped clean where it was hitting. I pulled the T/C bolts, slid a thin washer (about .020") between the flexplate and each converter lug, and reinstalled the bolts. Nice and quiet. Now to come up with a permanent fix that hopefully doesn't involve pulling the trans out.
That should be ok for a long time, steel against steel, just loctite the bolts again

I was hoping someone would say that. I used spring washers, they were the thinnest ones I could find, and the O/D was about the width of the head on the bolts.

I was hoping someone would say that. I used spring washers, they were the thinnest ones I could find, and the O/D was about the width of the head on the bolts.
Not flat washers? I think they would have to be solid so as to not move around

I figured the spring washers would be somewhat hardened, as well as having a bit of tension when installed. I did test them first (torqued one to 23 pounds between a nut and bolt, it flattened). Nothing else i could find was under .050", and I wanted to push the converter aft as little as possible.

-
Back