46rh/a518 Torque Convertor: Balance weight?

-

hellfirechrome

Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen, quick question. I have a 360 in. (bored .060) SBM in my 51. The crank was internally balanced by the prior owner (a FABO guy!) so I have a zero balance front harmonic damper. I have an A518/46RH transmission behind it with a performance high stall converter. I am preparing to swap it with a low- stall converter which would be better for towing, this is a non-lockup transmission. It's absolutely a 46RH.

The big question;

Do I need a zero balance torque converter? I am asking, is the balance weight often found on the flex plate side of the torque converter part of the crankshaft balancing system? In which case, I could simply remove the welds and the weight, but I wanted to confirm that this was not a balance for the transmission but instead part of the crankshaft balancing.

Pic for example:

s-l1600.jpg

Good morning gentlemen, quick question. I have a 360 in. (bored .060) SBM in my 51. The crank was internally balanced by the prior owner (a FABO guy!) so I have a zero balance front harmonic damper. I have an A518/46RH transmission behind it with a performance high stall converter. I am preparing to swap it with a low- stall converter which would be better for towing, this is a non-lockup transmission. It's absolutely a 46RH.

The big question;

Do I need a zero balance torque converter? I am asking, is the balance weight often found on the flex plate side of the torque converter part of the crankshaft balancing system? In which case, I could simply remove the welds and the weight, but I wanted to confirm that this was not a balance for the transmission but instead part of the crankshaft balancing.

Pic for example:

View attachment 1715207546
Yes that is for engine balance and will need to come off

The big question;

Pic for example:

View attachment 1715207546
Is the converter in the picture the one you are going to use? The factory always put a code I.D. number on the converter, typically on the hub side. Look for a 3 digit number, let me know and I can I.D. the converter for you if you want.

Thanks! I actually am ordering the specific correct Convertor from Rock Auto. I also have my trans shop working up a quote on the swap with and without their supplying the right TC.

-
Back