489 case, pinion seal question

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to look at a differential for my dart. It is a 489 case, 3.55 single track. Apparently the previous owner took the nut off of the yoke and it is missing. Do I have to have the whole diff set up again since it has a crush washer? If so can anyone recommend a decent video or website to learn from? Thanks

I guess if it were me I would get a new nut and put it on there with Locktite. Make sure to check your backlash once you do that to make sure it's in spec. You could get some paste and double check the gear pattern as well.

Chances are if the yoke didn't move you will be OK.

In theory, if the nut has been removed and you replace it and tighten it to the factory spec of 250 lbs. ft. it disturbs the amount of pinion bearing pre-load so yes you should either replace the crush sleeve or my personal favorite is to replace it with a crush sleeve eliminator kit. That way if you ever needed to take the yoke off again it doesn't disturb anything. Search YouTube and you'll find numerous video's on setting up 3rd members

BTW: throwing theory out the window I have seen guys just put a new nut on and torque it down and it worked ok. I guess it all comes down to, do you feel lucky?

-
Back