489 case with cone style sure grip rebuild

-

Mopar64340

Reaction score
Hello guys.

So ive been reading up on cone style sure grips. Ans unfortunately i bought one before learning whay i did about them.

I have heard that DR Dif has a shim kit that can some what refresh them. But i wanted to see if anybody is in the Los angeles or surrounding areas that knows of a shop that works on cone style sure grips ?

I'll give you a bump because I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I'm farming it out to a friend who knows WAAAAY more than myself, but I think it's just and matter of having the cones milled down a bit. RRR did a nice write up on it a while back.

How To Recondition a Sure Grip Cone

Here is the Dr. Diff kit if anyone wants to check it out.

Mopar 8 3/4" Cone Sure-Grip Shim Pack

Yep. When I did mine, I just faced 0.030" off of the base of the cones on a lathe and shimmed the side gears accordingly. It's worked like a charm since.

I'll give you a bump because I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I'm farming it out to a friend who knows WAAAAY more than myself, but I think it's just and matter of having the cones milled down a bit. RRR did a nice write up on it a while back.

How To Recondition a Sure Grip Cone

Here is the Dr. Diff kit if anyone wants to check it out.

Mopar 8 3/4" Cone Sure-Grip Shim Pack
Sweet ! thank you !

I just read an article where they also replaced the springs with 727 high clutch piston springs. Has anybody done that ? supposed to make it even stronger

Sweet ! thank you !

I just read an article where they also replaced the springs with 727 high clutch piston springs. Has anybody done that ? supposed to make it even stronger
Did they replace them all together, or just place them inside of the sure grip springs? I can't imagine the 727 clutch springs are stronger than the stock cone sure grip springs.

Did they replace them all together, or just place them inside of the sure grip springs? I can't imagine the 727 clutch springs are stronger than the stock cone sure grip springs.
Placed them inside. Here is the article

"Well, I need to clarify something concerning cone type SG's and their lack of being able to be rebuilt. They can be and there was an article in High Performance MOPAR Magazine, May 1997, PGS 28-30 where they did it. They removed 0.080" off each cone in a lathe and installed a 727 high clutch piston return spring (one each) into the center of each of the four original springs. I have never done nor met anyone who has rebuilt a cone SG nor know of a company who does. The article is fairly easy to follow with good pictures"
Mopar Rear Ends / Differentials / Etc

Placed them inside. Here is the article

"Well, I need to clarify something concerning cone type SG's and their lack of being able to be rebuilt. They can be and there was an article in High Performance MOPAR Magazine, May 1997, PGS 28-30 where they did it. They removed 0.080" off each cone in a lathe and installed a 727 high clutch piston return spring (one each) into the center of each of the four original springs. I have never done nor met anyone who has rebuilt a cone SG nor know of a company who does. The article is fairly easy to follow with good pictures"
Mopar Rear Ends / Differentials / Etc
Thoughts ?

-
Back