489 Crush Sleeve?

-
Well, I don't think a cheapy beam style inch pound torque wrench costs 9000 dollars, tools must be crazy expensive where you guys live. But truthfully, after doing it a few times, you really can do it by feel.. You have GOT to get it tight enough that you get the preload back to where it was before you removed the yoke. If you still have the old crush sleave in it, and go to far, you will have to disassemble the pumkin and change it. Just trying to help guys

Well, I don't think a cheapy beam style inch pound torque wrench costs 9000 dollars, tools must be crazy expensive where you guys live. But truthfully, after doing it a few times, you really can do it by feel.. You have GOT to get it tight enough that you get the preload back to where it was before you removed the yoke. If you still have the old crush sleave in it, and go to far, you will have to disassemble the pumkin and change it. Just trying to help guys

Here we go, i do on a slow month about 16 diffs, been that way for many many years There is NO WAY anyone can feel the difference or even get close to 14 inch pounds of pre-load to 20" and 36".

NO WAY you can feel it, and, and you're giving this advice to a person who has done 0.0

Every employee that told me that, (I can Feel 15" pounds) made a bet and EVERY SINGLE ONE lost.

Yeah. It's kinda like adjusting transmission bands. I've heard guys say for years "you can feel when it's tight enough", but you better damn well have something to measure it with. Having experience is cool. Getting it RIGHT is cooler.

OK, whatever, just telling you how I do them, you don't agree with my method, that's ok too, I really don't care. That's a prime example of why 99% of the time, giving your advise on the internet is a waste of energy.

If you worked for me and i seen you set up a diff like that, it was your last day, so why would you come to any place and give people the WRONG way to do something ???

If you worked for me and i seen you set up a diff like that, it was your last day, so why would you come to any place and give people the WRONG way to do something ???
Well, I don't work for YOU, and I wouldn't hire someone with YOUR attitude in my shop either, so we must be on the same page I suppose. I stand behine what I posted, disagree or not, good for you. My methods work fine, been doing them this way for years. What did YOU post that's gonna help the original poster?

Well,, I've been following this thread and others in the past, and kept biting my tongue,, so here it goes..

Back in the day, I was doing 2 or 3 gear-sets a week, of all breeds.. we never had the eliminator spacer back then,,

What I did,, and I maintained these vehicles for decades after, so I know it didn't fail or cause a leaky seal ,,, was..

I had about 50, - 0.006 shims made that matched the front end of the crush sleeve and fit between the front bearing..

So instead of replacing the spacer, ( this was caused by a "back-order" of spacers from mopar , and necessity being the mother of invention). we just added a shim to the old spacer, and essentially collapsed it 6 thou. more, @ 240 lb/ft...

Had to do it to a few fords too,, never had a come back..

hope it helps

Well,, I've been following this thread and others in the past, and kept biting my tongue,, so here it goes..

Back in the day, I was doing 2 or 3 gear-sets a week, of all breeds.. we never had the eliminator spacer back then,,

What I did,, and I maintained these vehicles for decades after, so I know it didn't fail or cause a leaky seal ,,, was..

I had about 50, - 0.006 shims made that matched the front end of the crush sleeve and fit between the front bearing..

So instead of replacing the spacer, ( this was caused by an "back-order" of spacers from mopar , and necessity being the mother of invention). we just added a shim to the old spacer, and essentially collapsed it 6 thou more, @ 240 lb/ft...

Had to do it to a few fords too,, never a come back..

hope it helps
I see no problem with that method, the crushing of the spacer is what controls preload. My experience is that guys don't retighten enough, or they over torque and put excessive preload on the bearings. And despite what the chest thumpers in this thread would have you believe, experience and feel are key. Good job!

Why would YOU come on here and tell a guy he needs to disassemble his whole center section, when if it was done my way in the first place, he would have been fine? according to YOUR post, it cant even be done without a 9000 dollar torque wrench. MY posts explain the issue and how to deal with it.... your posts are tongue in cheek attack on me, and are of no help to anyone. And here we have another poster, who doesn't do them your way either, and as unbelievable as it may seem to you, his method works too!!!! Have a great day!!

I suppose a person could make a single one out of shim stock, ( could be read "beer can" ) and retorque to 240 lb/ft,, but that needs a ton of leverage,, that's why I made this, to hold the yoke,, - but a pipe wrench works too...

attachment.php

Well, I don't work for YOU, and I wouldn't hire someone with YOUR attitude in my shop either, so we must be on the same page I suppose. I stand behine what I posted, disagree or not, good for you. My methods work fine, been doing them this way for years. What did YOU post that's gonna help the original poster?

Experience and doing something WRONG are two different things, lmfao and experience tells you not to say something so WRONG out loud....

The internet is full of wrong info and how to do something half-assed and GUESS at it.

I love the method works fine excuse, why torque mains and heads or anything....feel method, feeling is for jerking off not pre-load that you can not feel.

Why would YOU come on here and tell a guy he needs to disassemble his whole center section, when if it was done my way in the first place, he would have been fine? according to YOUR post, it cant even be done without a 9000 dollar torque wrench. MY posts explain the issue and how to deal with it.... your posts are tongue in cheek attack on me, and are of no help to anyone. And here we have another poster, who doesn't do them your way either, and as unbelievable as it may seem to you, his method works too!!!! Have a great day!!

Because he does need to dissemble.... are you that numb, you'll NEVER get the pre-load right with the entire center assembled.

He didn't say to check pre-load with the axle assembled, he did in fact leave a lot to be interpreted from that lack of detail adding a .006 shim though.

I think the op got the idea that he should have asked before jumping in and just pulling things apart and he would have gotten a OTHER option, but well there are no other options after already pulling it apart.

Don't take it personally, you're doing it wrong and telling someone to do something WRONG may very well result in this OP being stranded on the side of the road listening to your FEEL method, when his FEEL has it at 100" pounds, or are you still that dopey to get what the hell you said is WRONG.... What are you gonna say, oh i feel differently.... You can't feel 14" pounds :violent1:.....

All of this is clearly covered in the factory service manual. There are correct specs for it, so why not use them? There are even specs for new bearings and used ones, so obviously it is important. It is really common sense.

Because he does need to dissemble.... are you that numb, you'll NEVER get the pre-load right with the entire center assembled.

He didn't say to check pre-load with the axle assembled, he did in fact leave a lot to be interpreted from that lack of detail adding a .006 shim though.

I think the op got the idea that he should have asked before jumping in and just pulling things apart and he would have gotten a OTHER option, but well there are no other options after already pulling it apart.

Don't take it personally, you're doing it wrong and telling someone to do something WRONG may very well result in this OP being stranded on the side of the road listening to your FEEL method, when his FEEL has it at 100" pounds, or are you still that dopey to get what the hell you said is WRONG.... What are you gonna say, oh i feel differently.... You can't feel 14" pounds :violent1:.....

Go get bent, your full of crap. My way works just fine, like I told you, been that way for years. The OP already screwed up, and is gonna change the center section anyway. You sound like a uptight know it all douchbag. Go back and hawk over your employes:finga:

Post number 33 also shows someone doing it a way different from yours, and that method works too. Get off your high horse, you aint the only guy that can put together a center section

All of this is clearly covered in the factory service manual. There are correct specs for it, so why not use them? There are even specs for new bearings and used ones, so obviously it is important. It is really common sense.
Yeah, it does, why don't you print out the spec for the bearing preload? Mr supershafter says its not even possible to check inch lb torque that low without a 9000 dollar tool. :sign3:

He said 900. And he is probably right on the mark. I use a 1/4" drive inch pound torque wrench. It comes close enough to get the job done, but I have to use a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter with a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter to get the right size socket on. I have no doubt that if I did it everyday for a living I would get the right tool for the job. A 900 dollar bearing preload tool will pay for itself in just a few differential setups. No doubt that tool is far more accurate than stacking adapters or especially feeling for preload torque. I am sure for the average DIYer, the 1/4" torque wrench method is perfectly acceptable. But for someone who make his bread and butter doing this for a living and having to provide warranties, I can certainly see where he would want it dead nuts stone cold right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0"]Can We All Just Get Along? For The Kids & Old People? RODNEY KING SPEAKS! - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back