490 RB Stroker project cam?

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
I'm still accumulating some pieces for a Stealth headed 0.030 over 440 with a 4.125 steel crank. I was going the cheap route with some stock 400 cast pistons and just bore it 0.020 but Summit had a great deal on some Icon forged that would bring me a little more compression and reliability. So now I'm also on the hook for some new H beam rods with 0.990 pin size... I was wondering if any of you had dyno numbers from similar projects with flat tappet cams. 440 Source pushes the Comp Cams duration 295/307, lift .564/.564 hydraulic which would be close to 0.600 with 1.6 rockers. I have adjustable rockers and push rods and can go solid also. Compression should still be around 9.7 or so depending on chamber volume. It is a street strip application.

It all depends on where you want to draw the balance. I'd use a Mopar .528 solid for an easy going drive it to church on Sunday type of muscle car. The .528 will still make enough power to put a B body deep into the 11's so it isn't a wimpy cam. Next step up would be something like the Comp 294S or the XE290S or the MP .557 solid. These cams will have a bit more lump in the idle but will make a little more top end power. If the car is lightweight or if you have some steep gears in the back then you can put even more cam in it. You didn't really provide any details so this is all just a guess.

There are 3 possible candidates to put it in... A,B or E bodies. I know it will have torque with just about anything I stick in it and I will stay around the 3.55 gear range.

-
Back