4barrel slant?

-

brandon2701

brandon2701
Reaction score
from a stock /6 going to a 4 barrel, does anyone know the difference in gas usage like mpg or anything?
thanks,
brandon

I went from a Holley 1945 and noodle exhaust at 18 mpg to a Feather Duster 2-1/4" Head pipe, Offy, Holley 390, recurved EI distributor and some very mild port work. Freeway settled in around 22 to mid 23.xx mpg.
This was with no change to the gear ratio, transmission, or rear axle.
I had bare minimum 8:1 compression. Make sure to check everything, 'cause without that minimum, that 4bbl isn't going to do squat for you. Try a BBD or a Holley 350 cfm 2300 series instead. The 2300 will get shoddy economy, but will be tremendous fun.

The 600 Holley still got better than 22 going down the interstate, but in town economy tanked to 12. The 390 got better than 18 unless I was driving stupid, then I could get it down around 15.

I'd like to have seen what kind of mileage the stock engine would have gotten with the Carter 500 AFB I run now, but that engine sits on a stand awaiting rebirth as something else.

Currently I run the Carter, Offy, Dual Dutra Duals, Mallory with no vac advance, and perhaps 14 degrees of mechanical, All in around 28 or 29 degrees though my 250 inch long rod stroker, 11:1 compression, I can pull 18 pretty easily out on the road. 3.50 gears, 2500 rpm stall, type F in an overclutched A904 with over drilled fluid flow. In town, all stupid and such, I can get it into the single digits with a whim. If I behave, I'll bet it can get better than 14. It's only been two years of running that setup though, so I wouldn't know! :-D
I managed to rework the head this winter and get the compression back down to 10.6ish to 1. The 300 Ford Valves breath OK, but I get a lot of masking. They are really too big for anything with less than a 0.100 overbore. Look up the K-1 long rod and piston set if your going to go that far. I still think they should drill the rods for spurt holes though.
I run 198 rods that have been heavily modified. no lube failures so far, no lost oil pump gears, knock on wood!

CJ

-
Back