4bbl carb question

-

Hammer

Reaction score
So I mocked up the carb on the engine today and a potential problem occurred to me. The way the carb sits, the primaries are in front and the secondaries are in back(in relation to the engines cylinders). So I'm wondering if under full boost, the front 2 or 3 cylinders will not get their fair share of gas. I'm just figuring in a NA engine the cylinders pull the mixture in more evenly from all 4 barrels. But under boost pressure I feel like it wouldn't disperse as evenly..anyone running a 4bbl carb(and preferably a turbo) ever think about, or investigate this?? I know the plugs will tell the tail, but I'm trying to figure out all these little kinks before the first start-up.

I have well over 3.000 miles on this 390 Holley and all the plugs I pulled out and they all looks the same.. I do have an adapter to turn it facing the primaries to the engine , but have not got to it because it's my daily driver.
Would the Big CAIN 2 barrel 500 to 600 cfm Holley be better ?

Attachments

• Picture 222 089.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 394
  • Picture 222 013.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 402
  • CAIN%20Slant%20Six%20intake%20011.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 386
First off: Nice slant memike! I really like that intake you setup in there. I have a stock, cast iron, 2bbl manifold(and the Demon carb to match), but since this engine will have a turbo bolted to it, I vouged to have the extra airflow and gas on tap. So I got my old Road Demon Jr. 625 rebuilt for a blow through. So you say your plugs are telling you they're all happy? Sounds about right, I guess. I have a 2 in. riser I picked up in a lot of carb spacers and such. I might try to fabricate some sort of baffling inside of it to channel 1 primary and 1 secondary to one side, and 1 and 1 to the other. Or better yet, just turn the carb 90 degrees! Did you say you had such an adapter? Could you give me a part number by chance? That would be ideal, I would think; as from what I read about carbureted turbo engines, the IDEAL thing to have one 1bbl carb per cylinder(which for practicality reasons, I've steered away from). So even placement of the primaries/secondaries would HAVE to be better than the way it sits now, no?

Here you go Hammer, StrokerScamp fixed me up with this part :notworth:
We agreed we would split the cost as it came with two adapter plates to run your carb side ways.
then when it got here he wanted me to have it as a gifted part for Victoria.
I hope this helps :thumblef:

Attachments

• Picture 071.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture 222 099.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 357
I don't know if the aftermarket intake flows more evenly than OEM but ...
The center cylinders have always ran richer than the end cylinders due to the tube length with stock manifolds.
The fuel is atomized better at the center cylinders too.
There was a guy at slant6.org who put together a fuel injection setup for that manifold. I dont know if it was completed and/or how it performed. Even with exact fuel delivery from injectors the air flow would be a little uneven if the tube diameters aren't staggered .

Thanks a lot guys! Saved me a lot of time sifting through all the adapters out there! All the parts accumulating is almost complete! I'm posting another Demon SRT6 update soon. Had some acute fall backs, but I'm staying relentless, and on top of this to get it on the road by early spring (which in Ohio could be as late as May, lol). Have a rivalry race going down on the 4th of July (against a pretty savage Nissan 240), and I got to get this engine running so I can bolt up this 8.75 rear end I got and really hook up! So I need all the time/help I can get...

Do you have an 8 1/4 sure grip? The 8 3/4 sure uses a bunch of hp.
But You may have a heck of a monster /6 build going on :mrgreen:
Keep us updated .:colors::colors:

yeah its a 8 3/4. I originally got it because I was planning on putting a 5.7L hemi in the demon, but then changed my direction and went with the turbo /6. It is pretty hoss though, huh?

-
Back