4sp A833

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
I have a 4sp from a B body. I would like to put it into my A body Swinger (73 W/A 318 ). It had an auto 727. I am planning on running a SB Mopar. What bellhousing should I look for or are they the same. Will any Mopar 4 speed fit? Is there a Certain type of flywheel that wors better than others? What sort of issues will I be looking at? I was thinking about using OE pedals and an aftermarket floor shifter. Has anyone done this type of conversion?
Brian

The B & E body tranny has the shifter placement further back than the A bodies. I do think there is an adapter plate for placeing the shifter a bit more foward to work with an A body.

I'd look for a A body bell housing though I think most will fit right on without issue. I'm not just a 100% sure on that though.

A OE replacement flywheel should be fine. I do still beileve MoPar has them available for both the 360 and 340/318's.

The use of as many OE parts will make this easy. The shifter is still available and upgraded units should bolt in without issue. Unless you go exotic.

Sorry, I can not be of more help since I have not a conversion myself.

It would fit better and might save you a lot of work in the long run if you can get someone to trade your b-body trans for an a-body trans. You could post something for the guys at FBBO to see if something comes up.

Brewer's Performance lists complete auto to manual kits and all of the individual parts you would need.

I'm running the long tail 833 in my duster with a plate made from the big block dart site. I did have to modify the trans tunnel to allow room for where the adapter plate bolts to the rear mounting pad. I believe it could have been done without "clearancing" the floor by the use of counter sunk allen head bolts and notching the trans mounting holes to allow the tail to sit a tad lower, but during my weekend 4-speed swap on my daily driver I didn't have the time to rework the adapter

-
Back