4sp hump installation

-

kempi

Reaction score
Hi,

I´m swapping from auto to 833 in my 68 Dart.

Can anyone advise about the correct location of the hump?

I test installed the hump pretty far in front to avoid too much intereference with the drivers seat and this way the shifter boot folds nicely in 1st gear.
But the shifter doesn´t stick out at all in the center of the cutout.

See attached picture (sorry for poor quality).

Could you tell me if that looks OK or send me pictures of the stock location of the hump?

Thanks
Jona

DSC00699.JPG

DSC00698.JPG

It looks to be a little too far forward, the hump should fit the curves of the floor pan.

I would tend to agree......it seems like when I installed mine, there wasn't any confusion as to where it would mount....when I slid it back and forth, left and right, it just seemed to fit one way, one location.

I also thought to install it to fit the curve of the floor first because that would also be the position where the shifter sticks out nicely centered. But then I got a little confused that the seat hit the hump sliding it half way to the front. And the shifter boot would wrinkle up pretty weird. That´s why I wanted to install it that far forward.
Might it be that I got the wrong shifter / plate combination? What looks funny to me is that the shifter stick is vertical in 2nd or 4th gear position.
Shouldn´t it rather be upright in neutral position?

It is common for the seat to hit the hump, depending on how the seat tracks are adjusted since there is a lot of adjustments to the seat tracks.

The shifter should point forward when in neutral.

There is supposed to be a small bracket that is welded to the hump behind the opening. It's job is to stop the seat from moving too far forward and interfering with proper shifter function.
That is the problem with cobbling together aftermarket parts. I have yet to see a hump made with this tab/bracket
Early Hurst A-body shifter mechanisms were meant for the early '65 (Round) hump opening. THEY have the neutral gate forward, and 2nd and 4th ARE at 12 o'clock. Neutral would be at 10 o'clock, and 1st and 3rd would be at 9 o'clock.

Put the shifter in neutral….. Move the hump until the shifter is in the center of the hole…. That's where it goes.

Put the shifter in neutral….. Move the hump until the shifter is in the center of the hole…. That's where it goes.

That's how I did it before. Plus, you'll see the natural position the hump will rest.

IIRC, the factory one in the Dart, the positioning of the shifter is slightly to the rear of the hole.

Hi,

I´m swapping from auto to 833 in my 68 Dart.

Can anyone advise about the correct location of the hump?

I test installed the hump pretty far in front to avoid too much intereference with the drivers seat and this way the shifter boot folds nicely in 1st gear.
But the shifter doesn´t stick out at all in the center of the cutout.

See attached picture (sorry for poor quality).

Could you tell me if that looks OK or send me pictures of the stock location of the hump?

Thanks
Jona

Jona, My conversion was on a 1966 Barracuda & I used a Pistol Grip shifter, so things were a little different than yours, but I believe the principle is the same: Using the shifter you intend to use, first locate the hump so that the neutral position is as close to the center of the hump hole as possible, making sure you don't come in contact with the hump in any gear - then make sure that you still have sufficient seat travel. Once those two things have been accomplished, you've found your spot! Make sure you seal it well, either by welding or (my Mickey Mouse method) roofing cement & rivets. The carpet will make it look like it came from the factory!

-
Back