4sp Trans Hump

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still learning guys, so hang in there with me.

It is for the 66 in my avatar. Here's the deal. The car came with a three speed manual, column shift. Somewhere along the way, it got a 4 speed. When they did the conversion they just cut out a square for the shifter and "massaged" the floor a little with a "BFH" for it to fit. I'm assuming that since it had the 3 speed manual already, the tunnel was already larger than a car equipped with an auto. ????

You can find much information of doing an auto to 4 speed conversion, not much for a 3 speed man to 4 speed man conversion.

Anyway, since I have the interior stripped out (awaiting a package from Legendary) I was thinking of putting the correct hump in there. However, having second thoughts. If it ain't broke, I may not fix it.

Anyone with knowledge on swapping a 3 speed manual for the 4 speed, I'm all ears.

The reason for the floor hump is to provide room for the shifter rods and the shifter. The tunnel is the same whether the car is an automatic, 3 speed manual, or 4 speed. The hump comes into play when you use a floor shifter, whether it is a 3 speed manual or a 4 speed. Did this to my '66 Valiant which was a 3 on the tree. Went to an OD 4 speed and now after knee replacement am in the middle of going to an automatic. Sure glad I saved the piece of floor I cut out for the hump.

In addition to the floor hump for the shifter, the factory parts that are different between a 3 speed/column and 4 speed/floor are: Transmission, shifter, bell housing, and steering column collar/tube/linkage parts. You should be able to reuse everything else. Now if your 833 is out of a '68 and newer A-body, you'll have to get a 29 spline yoke also. If the 833 is out of some other body style, you have to shorten the driveshaft, modify the tranny mount crossmember, and some serious shifter mount mods.
Thanks, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back