5.2 in a 68 Barracuda

-
Yeah, I found out the same thing on the lower hose. Right now I'm using a flex hose on the lower. The upper hose is for a 96 Durango. I took a shot in the dark and ordered a radiator for the 96 Durango to see how it would fit the 68 radiator support. I had to drill 2 holes in the original metal pan under the 68 radiator for two registers to drop into (7/8", I think). I also drilled two holes in the radiator support for the two top bolts. It fits perfectly! Most likely the lower hose for the Durango would fit.
It's a possibility a lower hose for Grand Cherokee will fit. I bought a 98 Grand Cherokee today and got a bottom radiator hose from it.I'll check to see if it fits. The Grand Cherokee has an electric fan and has a plastic sleeve in the lower hose for the fan relay sensor. I'm sure it can be made to fit. I'm going to fab the GC electric fan to fit the Barracuda.

Thanks for the info. I was going to try a Grand Cherokee hose on the top, but your Durango hose looks like it fits better. Do you recall the length of the flex hose you used? The hose Rock auto calls out is 16.50" for a 70 Dart. That should probably work.

I tried the Grand Cherokee hose on the bottom and it was not even close, so scratch that one.

I think the flex hose was 16" from Autozone and I trimmed about an inch or so off. I'll look at my records and take a picture later today. Seems the hose for a 5.2 Durango should fit on mine since it's a Durango radiator. Some people don't like the look of flex hoses. Me, I don't care - they look fine to me.

Some times it pays to get out of bed early!

I went to my friend's house to look at a 98 Jeep Cherokee Limited SE that he is parting out. He said at first that he was going to take the leftovers in for scrap next week. He called last evening and said he needed to flip the Cherokee and he planned on hauling it off on Thursday, that I needed to get there today for any parts.

I got the parts I needed this morning and nonchalantly asked what he would get for scrap and if he would sell to me for something a little over scrap price. He agreed to sell it to me!

The car wasn't running when he got it, but the engine turns freely. The original owner replaced a bunch of electrical parts. I'm assuming that it probably has a bad sensor (I'm guessing crank sensor).

I'm going to pick up the leftover shell tomorrow. I'm getting 5.9 Magnum, all a/c parts dash, steering, rear end, doors, rear hatch, shifter, PCM, all wiring, electric fan, plus other misc. stuff.

This GC has a freakin' 9 1/4 Suregrip!

Man, am I stoked! There is a 67 Belvedere here locally for about 4 grand. Next up, b-body resto-mod!

Sweet score! Sometimes it DOES pay off to get out of bed early. :cheers:

I think the flex hose was 16" from Autozone and I trimmed about an inch or so off. I'll look at my records and take a picture later today. Seems the hose for a 5.2 Durango should fit on mine since it's a Durango radiator. Some people don't like the look of flex hoses. Me, I don't care - they look fine to me.

Thanks for the help! I just got both hoses hooked up. The Durango hose fits the stock radiator if you cut off about 6". Lower hose I used the flex hose as you described. It's pretty stiff, but it fits.

This GC has a freakin' 9 1/4 Suregrip!

Sorry, but the 1998 Grand Cherokees with the 5.9 use an odd ball axle. It is actually a Dana 44A. The A stands for aluminum. The center section is aluminum with steel tubes pressed in. Not much of an aftermarket for it, and I don't think much if anything swaps between a regular Dana 44 and the 44A, you would have to do some research on that.

Yeah, unfortunately you are right! I took a closer look at the rear when I got it home and saw that it wasn't the 9 1/4. I knew that it wasn't the Dana 35? that normally comes in the small Cherokee. I have one of those on my scrap pile.

I did some research on the 44A and seems that the steel 44 has completely different spec's for the center section.

I'm going to put it on CL to see if anyone is interested. If not, I may put the rear disc brakes on FABO for a real cheap price. Problem there is shipping would probably be more that buying them at local salvage.

I may just buy the whole Jeep (what's left of it) and start hunting for a b-body to fix up. For some reason I've gotten an itch to put a Magnum/EFI and overdrive trans into a b-body. Maybe a 71-73 Roadrunner or Charger. I can't afford the earlier B's!

First, gotta get my little fish going!
That'd be pretty cool.

Because of the aftermarket for Jeeps the screwball OBD-II V8 ZJ axle isn't that huge of a dealbreaker to consider. Should be a 3.73 LSD. Don't think the traction unit in those was as good as the one that replaced them though. But a bolt-in LSD upgrade rearend for one of those shouldn't hurt leaving your possession either. (early ones and the 6cyls came with 35s in most cases)

From looking on the internet at Dana 44A center sections, looks like the carrier is a Trac-Lock. I'm going to look up some part numbers and see if that carrier might fit an 8 1/4. I have a 2000 Jeep 8 1/4 rear axle with Trac-Lock in my 68 Barracuda. The Trac-Lock came out of a 92 Dakota.

I'm looking at a 78 Dodge D100 for a reeally good price right now, but it will probably get snatched up before I can get there and get it. The truck is a 4-speed which would complicate putting the magnum engine in, but from what the guy says, sounds like a car 4-speed, not a truck. He's a young guy, I had to explain to him what a "granny" gear was. LOL

Honestly, I wouldn't mind putting the rear in the truck, but the truck probably already has a stronger rear. What came in those trucks equipped with a slant 6, an 8 1/4?

The Dana 44A isn't a terrible axle. There are guys running supercharged 408 in there 1998 Grand Cherokees with the stock axle.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind putting the rear in the truck, but the truck probably already has a stronger rear. What came in those trucks equipped with a slant 6, an 8 1/4?
Usually, and most d-100s were especially in the '70s. The 8.25 and 44A are basically on par but aluminum center section and pickup seem like they shouldn't go together.

Usually, and most d-100s were especially in the '70s. The 8.25 and 44A are basically on par but aluminum center section and pickup seem like they shouldn't go together.

?? On the aluminum center section, do you mean that the housing is aluminum, or the gears are aluminum? What would be wrong with an aluminum center section in a pickup? Is it the weight of a loaded pickup that would be the concern?

Another question: Is the rear suspension in the GC what you would call a 4-link, or at least similar? It has two lower trailing arms going forward to the body and two upper to the body. Then, of course, the coil springs on top of the axle tubes.

Wonder if anyone has tried to graft the suspension into an older pickup?

Sorry, just thinking out loud.........

?? On the aluminum center section, do you mean that the housing is aluminum, or the gears are aluminum? What would be wrong with an aluminum center section in a pickup? Is it the weight of a loaded pickup that would be the concern?

Another question: Is the rear suspension in the GC what you would call a 4-link, or at least similar? It has two lower trailing arms going forward to the body and two upper to the body. Then, of course, the coil springs on top of the axle tubes.

Wonder if anyone has tried to graft the suspension into an older pickup?

Sorry, just thinking out loud.........
Like JGC said- the carrier or "chunk" is aluminum, the tubes are steel as far as I know.

To me the load of a pickup is what worries me about an aluminum center diff in it, the GC is a 3 or 4 link. (JGC will correct me if I'm wrong- I think that gen's a 4 link and the one after is a 3 link) I suppose you could graft it into a pickup, but once again- it goes away from what you'd immediately think to want in a fairly loaded application.

That's OK about the rear - I may just advertise it on CL and see if anyone wants it. This is rock crawler country around here!
I have an 8 3/4 rear down in the barn. It's supposed to be a 2.76 or 2.94. Don't know if that's right or not. Don't have any idea yet whether the width would be compatible.

The owner of the D100 doesn't know what's in it now.

Isn't the JGC's rear suspension considered a 5-link? There are 2 upper control arms, 2 lower control arms, and the track bar.

I just have a Dana 35 in the rear of my Jeep it is all iron but its still alive behind my 408 and 31" tires in my Jeep.

There are guys running supercharged 408 in their JGCs with the aluminum 44. The transfer case in those Jeeps split the power about 90/10 if I remember correctly, 90% goes to the rear. My Jeep splits the power 50/50, that is probably one of the reasons my Dana 35 is still alive.

I think you are right about the 5-link after looking at it. Two upper, two lower, and a transverse bar.

-
Back