5.2 magnum 392 stroker in 70 duster, some ?s and what heads?

-

Stormy69

Dusted
Reaction score
I got a deal on this shortblock hence the odd combo. I normally build my own motors but the machined/assembled /shipped shortblock was cheaper than the rotating assembly.

So, i am installing this in a 70 340 3 speed duster and swapping to a 4 speed in the process. I bought this car in Arizona in 1993 and am trying to make time for it as I have retired from the Air Force. I want it to look original to those that don't know so I will be staying carbed and he v belt accessory drive.

I have done some research but wish for some clarification on a few details and suggestion on heads.
Heads:
Aluminum, from ? and LA or Magnum? I am looking to make some pretty strong power and while i want to appear fairly original (I will be running long tube headers and some 273 hi-po valve covers i have had for about 25 years) i am not averse to a single plane intake. Basically, I have been into mustangs, amx's and f bodies for the last 20 years and i have little clue of current head availability outside of edelbrocks.

Flywheel; SOLVED
motor is zero balanced so a neutral flywheel is needed. iirc, thats what is currently on my 340 so is it usable?

Oil Pan; SOLVED
My memory says it should be a 360 pan on the 318 magnum. Is that correct?

Headers; SOLVED
I have a set of new old school long tube headers for la heads, will the work on magnum heads of that's what i go with?

Lastly, i don't have any lifters, i am running an HR cam, i need to look up the specs. I haven't heard anything negative about oe mopar lifters and would prefer them over aftermarket. Where is the best place to purchase?

Thanks for any assistance!

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, swapping LA heads on a Magnum block is difficult because of the difference in oiling the valvetrain

Indy makes a set of MA-X heads that are standard bolt on for the magnum engines and use magnum oiling and valvetrain components. They are steel head and look relatively stock. Here is a link to them....I am using the LA-X heads on my 360 motor I built for my W150 POWERWAGON and they are said to have some good numbers for the money.

#8---La-X and Ma-X Iron Small Block Heads

What level of performance are you looking for? What are you doing with the car?

Driver/hotrods can use the iron heads mentioned above very well.
Aluminum heads can be anything really. Just feed the drive train oil via the pushrods and all will be good. Edelbrock RPM's, any W series MoPar head....
Totally killer set ups!
Just make sure the lifters feed the hollow pushrods to feed the same oil pushrod feed set of rockers.

Yes in the flywheel
I also beileve yes to the oil pan
Yes on the headers though there will be a slight port misalignment. The port shape changed through out the years but it'll be OK.
OE lifters? Dealer, Summit, Jegs though maybe not in that order... LOL!

Who's selling 392 Magnums cheap?

I have a roller LA I was going to turn into a 392.....eventually.

No one mentioned the EQ Magnum head with either Mag or LA bolt angle?

The mention of the LA-X kind of covers it for me. There's how many style of these heads are there? Basically, there the same.

MoPar also has non W heads that would work. Normally pricey though.

thanks for the replys guys.

This shortblock was purchased from an individual, not a company...

so confirmed on oil pan, headers and flywheel.

Heads;
I am aware of indy. Do they make a head that flows better than edelbrock and keeps stock(ish) valvetrain, intake and exhaust components?

I have no interest in cast iron heads a this point in time.

I want a hot street car. It will get some suspension upgrades for handling and a few trips a year to the track. Ultimately i ant a 5 or 6 speed but don't want to cut my car and last i saw the 5 speed 833 one of the aftermarket guys was supposed to be building hasn't panned out or was ridiculously priced, or both. May turn to a gear vendors as an option.

Its not impossible i will turbo or supercharge at some point, losing much of the original appearance underhood but if/when i go that route, i will be ok with that lol.

-
Back