5.7 hemi cam choice

-

SNKEBIT

Spending $$ on Mopars
Reaction score
I have a 5.7 out of a Durango I am going to use in my Cuda swap. What is a good cam to put in it to get rid of the truck cam. I think I am going to have the heads ported too.

TIA:prayer:

The Modern Muscle range and also the Inertia range have good reps from those who use them...and wirk well with EFI cars.

Youd be best emailing the suppliers and asking their recommendation.....so you get a good match to your gearing and converter.

Yeah, it's a bit of a package deal and depends a lot on what you want to do and want out of the car. For instance, several of the cams require valve springs swaps as well. Since you're thinking of porting the heads it would be easy enough to do at the same time, but it is a cost adder that you have to keep in mind. Also, what you want for performance has a lot to do with cam choice. A good cruising street car would probably have a good low to mid range torque curve for grunt whenever you hit the throttle. A drag strip machine will be all top end power and have to wind up to really feel like it has as much pull.

I put the SRT Max Plus from Inertia in my stock 5.7 build. Truthfully speaking it was largely because I loved the sound and the lope, but it's also a good performance bump and hasn't hurt driveability for me. Then again I'm used to driving both old cars and performance cars that ride "harsh" by some people's standards.

on my stock 2006 durango 5.7 a set of totally stock 2009-12 eagle heads and a HHP STAGE 3 N/A cam had my 68 barracuda running 12.o's would had easily ran in the 11's with some more tuning..

Can you get a lopey idle from the 5.7 without changing pistons?
I've heard the SRT max sound clips but would like something that sounded a litle more like a LA motor.
:burnout:

You'll have a difficult time tuning a lumpy came if running fuel injection. You'd want to go with a carb if you go lumpy cam. JMO

This is supposedly about as lumpy as you can get with factory pistons in a 5.7 [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydAadptGfKU"]SRT max plus idle in 5.7 hemi - YouTube[/ame]. This is with fuel injection too, albeit an aftermarket system with full tunability as opposed to the stock one.

Map63vette, I'm assuming that's the SRT MAX cam.
Just checked there website and I didn't see a SRT MAX PLUS cam????
You'll have to take a longer video next time!!! Sounds like you got a nice set of headers on there, do you ave the idle set lower?
What are you running for spark/fuel electronics?

-
Back