5.7 Hemi Conversions - XVMotors? Arrington Chip Killr? Other options?

-
I've been working with Plum Floored for a couple months as a joint effort and he offers Inertia parts and I offer his. One thing coming from this is we've combined his custom wiring harness with my experience and connections in tuning the hemi trucks and LX's. Whats coming out of this is a harness combined with a 05 truck PCM thats flashed to work in an old school car and has the 6.1 base format in it. Were going to set it up standard for a cam which will probably be the SRT Max 112 but the cool part is it will accept a diablo predator so we or any tuning shop that has CMR can fully tune it for other head, cam, stroker, boost or nos combinations. You can email tune too I do about 20 email tunes a month. Since it's baised off the factory PCM you would get the benifits of the factory PCM. I tune hundreds of LX's and trucks this way with lots of different cam, head, injector, storker combos so I have a big tune library to start from and then tweak the tune in from their. Point is there will be alot of flexibility in this combo and were going to bring it out for I'm thinking just over 2K and it uses all the factory sensors that you normally get with the used engines floating around. So it's alot of bang for the buch and allows lots of mods. Another point is you can control the timing like you can't off a distributor based system as on the hemi you can make max power at about 24 degrees advance at 3K RPM but you have to back it off to about 20 at 4K and 4.3 K to avoid detonation then you climb it to about 30 in what looks like a logrythmic slope. You can't do that with a distributor. Really, you can't come close to a good performance tune without full knock sensor support like this system has because the ring lands on a 5.7hemi are only 0.100" thick so if your hearing knock it's probably too late. With the factory knock sensors like the factory PCM uses you can tweak the tune to the best possible tune safley and still have protection from the knock sensors if you get a bad tank of gas.

I always hear the 03 computer can't be tuned because of the seperate trans computer. This seems like total B.S. to me. So, can it be done or not. Just asking questions.

I always hear the 03 computer can't be tuned because of the seperate trans computer. This seems like total B.S. to me. So, can it be done or not. Just asking questions.

The diablo predator does support it but it's pretty limited compaired to the later PCM's. Main thing is theres no changing idle speed. That and some of the controls you don't have with throttle rates and airflow tables makes it pretty limited when tuning a bigger cam. If it wont idle at 650 RPM then you can't raise the idle. It looks like recently there is now adjustable rev limit in the template but I haven't verified that it actually works yet. As it sits on a stock block 5.7 a comp 268 or a spartan 114 LSA is about as big as I can go tuning it.

no matter how you choose to do a 5.7/ 6.1 swap, its way to costly compared to an old school LA motor,,seems to me if you did a factory wiring and computer swap would be the most reliable way to go,,, but no rule book on the do,s and dont,s yet,,and still not cheap,,,,/COLOR]

The only way this swap will ever be cheaper is if there is a demand for the parts & pieces. If no one buys the stuff then the prices will never come down. I have been on this forum for over a year now and the one thing I have figured out is that MOST (not all!) Mopar guy's are cheap! JMO.

Yes, we are..and $869 for an MP single carb intake proves the fact that I couldnt afford to carb one...dual is $335 but how do you fire the plugs? A little rich for me....call me Thrifty!

indy cylinder head now has a mod man intake system for the 5.7/6.1 it has an interchangable top,,single 4 dual 4 or 6 pac, dont rememebr if it is single or dual plane,,was less the 500 when i last talked to them,,,

indy cylinder head now has a mod man intake system for the 5.7/6.1 it has an interchangable top,,single 4 dual 4 or 6 pac, dont rememebr if it is single or dual plane,,was less the 500 when i last talked to them,,,
from the Indy price list:
5.7 = USD 399
6.1 = USD 499
with top of choice, fasteners and gasket
I found a web shop who is selling the XV intake for 499 too so I'm again undecided... :-(

One of the guys here is using the XV, seems like he has had to customize and modify quite a bit to get it set up... Dont remember his user name, it is a 68 4 door dart sleeper with alterkation... look in the members restorations section...

JOE

The only way this swap will ever be cheaper is if there is a demand for the parts & pieces. If no one buys the stuff then the prices will never come down. I have been on this forum for over a year now and the one thing I have figured out is that MOST (not all!) Mopar guy's are cheap! JMO.
> Don't know for sure if I'm cheap, but I'm "always" looking for value. This is why 2 tbi's on an eddy manifold, bargin centrifugal and E85. "Bang for the $". Mustang II front suspension-same reason. To me, that is real hot rodding. IMHO, ateam.:rock:

One of the guys here is using the XV, seems like he has had to customize and modify quite a bit to get it set up... Dont remember his user name, it is a 68 4 door dart sleeper with alterkation... look in the members restorations section...

JOE

if I decide to go with XV for the 6.1. Do I have to plug the injector holes? A shop who is selling them for 499 USD ( Moes performance) has a describtion what let me think it is one manifold for both, carb and EFI.

http://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_192_1155&products_id=1693

thats over rated .

You are killing his enthusiasim. Give him some encouragement for God's sake.

My 2011 5.7 Hemi Durango kicks ***. Street stock it's almost 95 MPH in the quarter mile, and it weighs 5300 pounds.

That ain't NUTHIN to joke about.

TREAT YOUR Mopar BROTHERS like BROTHERS.

Save your negativity for the Tojotahs, Nissans, Hondas, and all the other non Mopar brands.

-
Back