5.7 hemi into an A-body?

-

dartdoc

Reaction score
Anyone else out there putting a 5.7 in? I would surely like to trade ideas and thoughts before making costly mistakes. Mine is carburated, for now. It is easier and better for bracket racing. MSD is making a stand alone ignition system right now, my motor is their mock-up for the dyno.
My current parts and plans:
Mopar Performance carburated intake
750 Holley DP
MSD Ignition (proto-type)
5.7 Hemi (from a 06 Magnum)
TCI street fighter converter
6.1 camshaft and Valve springs.
all non-MDS lifters.
8 3/4 3.55 gears posi.
aluminum radiator
electric fan (2004 Jeep Liberty)
exhaust manifolds (06 Grand Cherokee)
TTI conversion motor mount brackets
timing cover from a 05 Ram pickup
water pump from a 05 Ram pickup
Hemi flex plate (with ring gear cut off)
Mallory Fuel system
oil filter block off plate and relocated oil filter
anyone else doing anything different?

I was going to tell you about a guy in El Paso thats doing one, but thats not much help is it?? How you doing partner?

doing very well, thanks. Just thought I would put some ideas out there and see what good ideas come back. See ya later.

There is a guy on Moparts that is putting one in a 67 Barracuda and his thread is huge with pictures as work progress.

i sold a shifter to a member here who was doin it "JRAT" puttin it into i think 68 dart convert gunna be cool

I would suggest using headers instead of the manifolds, tti makes some that should work. I am interested in seeing how this turns out, good luck! :salute:

These swaps and the info shared by these guys will be invaluable to the rest of us. Lets face it , these will be the common swaps soon. Hope dartdoc can get his digital camera going, if not I'll loan him mine. He's got it all mocked up for fitment, just waiting for the motor to get back from MSD(just across town).

the tti headers are pricey rascals. And rumor is they are in a backorder status for right now. The manifolds are about all the budget I have for now. This is a very tight fit in an A-body. I had to notch the K member to get the Magnum oil pan to fit. Also had to cut and flatten the firewall to floorboard seam to get the 727 up in the tunnel. The passenger side valve cover slips under the blower motor for the heater. I had to shorten the steering column outer tube, because the drivers valve cover was hitting. I will still need to put a heat shield over the steering coupler, after the motor is back in the car. Also you cannot put your fingers between the inner fender on the passenger side and the valve cover. I have done this on a very tight budget, and trying to make factory parts work. For those who want to spend the money and save some time. Put the tti headers, tubular K-member, and rack and pinion steering. Those are your three biggest headaches while trying to shoehorn this Mini-elephant in.

http://www.hawayaracing.com/barracuda.htm

Engine_Wiring_Complete.jpg

Cool. I just picked up a real cheap 5.7 on ebay that is "Locked Up". I really bought it to see what is gonna fit where. Later ill brake it down and see if its rebuildable, if not later down the road Ill buy a different one.
I have a 64 dart gt convertible. I have the Alterktion front end from RMS along with the 2 bolt master that clears the back coil pack. Id like to, in the end, have my engine Look more like an old engine, by using the mopar intake with top mounted throttle body. That way i can use a older factory appearing air cleaner. I want to even go as far as painting the valve covers, heads, block, inatke and pan the red color that was used on the 273 back in 64-66. However, i might just use the truck or car hemi intake for starters to get my car on the road sooner.
Im gonna go with EFI and i found a guy at Ricks Hot Rod Shop that makes SS gas tanks with the fuel pump inside the tank for A bodys.
Check out the pics. The first few are from RMS. Thats a 5.7 truck hemi in an ealry A body. Of course its sitting on an Alterktion so theres plenty of room for headers and steering, but the passengerside is still tight. Not my car or engine, just one Bill at RMS used to fab up 5.7 hemi motor mounts.
The pics of the gas tank are from Ricks Hot Rod Shop. Real cool guy, he actually replies to email.
The second to last pic is of my 64 in my garage and the last one is an old 64 dart brochure cover that i modified. I dropped the car, took out the occupants, took off the bumper guards and a few other minor things. Its about the look im going for for my car when its done (one of these years).
The new hemis are getting cheaper, and your right thinking that this swap is gonna become very common in the next few years. IM no pioneer, im just following in the foot steps of the rodders that have already made this swap. Theyve been very helpful.
Almost forgot, I also got a plate that will move my steering over a little more to clear things up there.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

abody.jpg

abody2.jpg

my64dart.jpg

64DartGt2sml.jpg

The tough part is going to be exhaust on a 64, if you figure that out you are home free.

I was planning to do a Hemi in my 68 Dart, but I found a good deal on a 383 engine and trans, TTI headers, and mounts, got them all for $800. On later A's like mine, you can buy headers and mounts to make it work. On yours, you might have to go with manifolds and weld up your own mounts. That won't be too hard.

My biggest issue was control, the XF! system was over $2500, and at the time, nobody made a stand alone ignition system to use with a carb, except Ma Mopar, and she wanted $4k. I saw that Edelbrock is releasing carb intake for the 5.7 Hemi, we just have to wait for an ignition system now.

Some of those systems for the engines are more expensive because you can go in and make adjustments on them. But i think comp camp and a few others have a more basic system that is closer to $800-$1200. Mopar is always higher on stuff. $4000 is what they want on there system, which in my opinion is way to high for an intake, wiring harness and, and throttle body. I think for now, im just gonna go with the truck or car intake (if i can get that alternator to clear with the car hemi), and go with comp cam or Street and Performance's engine control system. They arent as fancy as some of the others, but i dont really need to program my car constantly. I just need a simple system to run things.
I was considering just going with the basic stuff for now. I havent even got to drive my car, because it was apart when i bought it. So getting it on the road needs to be my first goal. Im actually OK with the basic exhaust manifolds. Yes headers are awsome, but 350hp seems a good start for now. If i want to add more muscle later, ill do it after my car has been on the road for awhile. For now i have tons of work to do.

Update on the mini Hemi. I got to watch and listen to it run on the dyno today. 368 horses at 5600, 345 ft lbs from 3500 to 5500. This with 25 degrees of total timing. They are tweeking the ignition box, it will be a week or two before the final prototype is put on the motor. It is lap top tuneable if you want, or you can just leave it alone. Also has a rpm launch control, total rpm rev control, and retard features. This box is fairly small and is being designed to work with the factory coils. As the motor gets broken in we will put more timing to it. Density altitude at the time of the pulls was 6100 ft. If Edelbrock does indeed put out a manifold soon this could become a very popular thing to do.

sounds cool, but what intake are you talking about? i want an intake like mopar and XV have (with the throttle body on top), but mopar is selling theirs with a computer and wiring that is $4500 bucks. Way too much.

The problem right now is a distributor, if someone made a systen for the HEMI for less than $600, I would already have one. My original plan was to stick a 5.7L HEMI in my Dart, TTI headers and bolt it o my 727 trans. When I figured the cost for a Fuel injection system, the cheapest was around $2800 for XFI. When you add the cost of the headers and an engine, T-body, and intake, you are talking $6000. I figured I could build a 496 stroker for $5000 and have another 150 HP.

I thought S&P had a cheap engine harness that tied into the factory computer? How much is a factory computer? the S&P harness is $600-800 i think. Most guys selling hemis on ebay are selling alot of the computer stuff with them. If you could find a pulled hemi for around $1500-$3500 with the computer and then get S&Ps engine harness to make things easier youd then just have to get the gas tank and pump, and fly by wire peddle.
I got lucky and found a 5.7 on ebay that didnt go for more then $633 bucks. the seller said it was locked up. i broke the engine down and found two front connecting rods broke, but didnt find any damage to the block. i need to take it to a shop and have it checked over even better, but so far looks like this 5.7 might be able to be rebuilt. i actually bought it just for fitment into my engine bay and a few other things, but if its rebuildable im gonna use it. Im building more of a cruizer then a drag car, so 350-450hp in a convertible is plenty for me. Cool thing is if this engine works out it wont take much to bring it back up to running, which means my car will be on the road that much faster. :blob:

dodgenut, find out if that block is good. That motor more than likely swallowed some water. Flood or deep water maybe. This is where I got my motor. I have the pistons and rods your gonna need, took them out of another motor to build mine. Get back with me if you need em.

dartdoc said:
Update on the mini Hemi. I got to watch and listen to it run on the dyno today. 368 horses at 5600, 345 ft lbs from 3500 to 5500. This with 25 degrees of total timing. They are tweeking the ignition box, it will be a week or two before the final prototype is put on the motor. It is lap top tuneable if you want, or you can just leave it alone. Also has a rpm launch control, total rpm rev control, and retard features. This box is fairly small and is being designed to work with the factory coils. As the motor gets broken in we will put more timing to it. Density altitude at the time of the pulls was 6100 ft. If Edelbrock does indeed put out a manifold soon this could become a very popular thing to do.

Any idea how much the MSD is going to run? Under $1000.00 hopefully?

dartdoc said:
dodgenut, find out if that block is good. That motor more than likely swallowed some water. Flood or deep water maybe. This is where I got my motor. I have the pistons and rods your gonna need, took them out of another motor to build mine. Get back with me if you need em.

yeah, i was wondering if this truck was driven in some deep water. some of the exhaust valves looked like they spit up some brown crudd.
Any tips on the proper pulley remover for the crank pulley? The pulley thats on the crank is different them ive seen before. Thanks for any tips on gettin it off.

You have to use a 2-jaw gear puller, there are detents on the pulley that the puller arms go into.

-
Back