5.7 Hemi swap transmission question

-

Valveguy

Reaction score
I'm gearing up (slowly) to swap out my 225 slant six Clifford set-up for a 5.7 hemi and automatic transmission with fuel injection from a yet-to find, donar car or truck. My question: If I were find a complete engine and transmission from a truck, like a two-wheel-drive 2005-8 Dodge Ram, would that transmision swap ok into my duster or are those transmissions only best for.......trucks? Specifically, would fitting the truck transmision into my Duster be a different issue than if it was one pulled from a car? And, are those truck transmissions geared different?
Thanks to anyone that knows the answer to this.

i think 5.7dart (he did a barracuda and a dart) and i think the dart has it all outta a truck so i bet either would work great. there are a bunch of people on here that have done the swap so you can get more info from them to

i think 5.7dart (he did a barracuda and a dart) and i think the dart has it all outta a truck so i bet either would work great. there are a bunch of people on here that have done the swap so you can get more info from them to

Oh, yes. I guess that should have been a "Duhh!"

You are right, I'll read more into those. I'm still a little currios if those transmissions are different.

Thanks for the info,

Tom

yes the truck tranny and car trannys are completely different. the truck trannys dont have the TCM issues u have with the car stuff... If you where to find a car tranny u would have to make the ABS/ ESP/ TCM/ toner rings etc work with the rear u have which is a ridiculas amount of fab work. The truck stuff will work fine with a 8.75 b/c you dont have to use the stuff mentioned above.

However the truck trannys cant take the same abuse the car NAG1 trannys can... but if u are just gonna run stock 5.7 or evern head and cam it you should still be fine... I have a 11K long blovk sitting in my garage right now for sale if u havent found one yet... I live in VA.

yes the truck tranny and car trannys are completely different. the truck trannys dont have the TCM issues u have with the car stuff... If you where to find a car tranny u would have to make the ABS/ ESP/ TCM/ toner rings etc work with the rear u have which is a ridiculas amount of fab work. The truck stuff will work fine with a 8.75 b/c you dont have to use the stuff mentioned above.

However the truck trannys cant take the same abuse the car NAG1 trannys can... but if u are just gonna run stock 5.7 or evern head and cam it you should still be fine... I have a 11K long blovk sitting in my garage right now for sale if u havent found one yet... I live in VA.

Valuable info, thanks!

When you mention the 8.75 I assume you are talking about the rear end...yes? My car has the wimpy 7.25 and don't laugh, I am thinking about NOT changing it. Its early on in the decision making so I might change my mind but the thing is, I'm never going to race the car or anything like that, I just love those engines for other things including when you need a little power, ITS GONNA BE THERE!

On the 11k long block, can you give me some more details and if you have the transmission from it and what is it from?
Thanks!

When I said 8.75 I simply ment standard straight axles set up our Mopars came with...(8.75, 8.25, 7.25, Dana, etc) Its just next to impossible to make the NAg 1 out of the cars work.

The Long block I have is from a 06 Ram the got a stroker in its place.

im not sure the 7 1/4 will last to long. one burn out with a non sure grip unit and it can be ruined. if you want to save as much as u can i would look into at least an 8 1/4 sure grip. they are cheap but still built decent and you wont have to change it to soon. i think the dakotas have the 8 1/4 so maby if you need and sensors out back they would already be on there just a thought

im not sure the 7 1/4 will last to long. one burn out with a non sure grip unit and it can be ruined. if you want to save as much as u can i would look into at least an 8 1/4 sure grip. they are cheap but still built decent and you wont have to change it to soon. i think the dakotas have the 8 1/4 so maby if you need and sensors out back they would already be on there just a thought[/quote

Good info, thanks!

Just a word of wisdom.. only the car Nag1 trannys have to have the senors... so none of the truck stuff u get will have it.

-
Back