5.7 Hemi swap

-
Talk to hemijoe here I think his fish is a 68?? He will answer any question you have he is a top notch guy--Steve

From what I understand the blocks are all the same from an external standpoint aside from some bosses being drilled on the side of the block and some not, depending on what it came out of. I don't think it really matters though since the only holes you need are for the engine mounts, and I think those are all drilled on every block. The 5.7 and 6.1 are the same on the outside too from what I've heard, the only difference is the bore on the inside and some little things like piston cooling jets. I think the main fitment issues people have are the front cover and intake, but I'd wait to see what someone else has to say.

It is my understanding that 5.7/6.1/6.4 blocks are all externally pretty much the same. With that being said...

I've got 3 5.7 blocks in my garage, and one of them does NOT have the 3rd hole drilled and tapped that is needed for my TTI mount. I don't know what it came out of, but it doesn't have that 5th hole (center hole) on the driver's side drilled and tapped. I'm guessing it's a rare bird, but it's worth checking when shopping.

Not the best pic, but you can see what I mean.

ttidriversside.jpg

That's an 03 truck block the hole isn't tapped because that's the a/c mounting hole in the car not the truck. You could very easily use the hole on your mount to punch then drill and tap a 10mmx1.25 hole for the bracket. Don't go more the 3/4" with the hole and you'll be golden.

Is there not an issue with power steering boxes and you have to go to a manual one?

Power steering is not possible with the factory box, just not enough clearance for the exhaust manifolds/headers.

Power steering is not possible with the factory box, just not enough clearance for the exhaust manifolds/headers.

What if you moved the engine back to the firewall? The factory amnifolds interfere where they exit? Having power steering was one of the reasons I wanted to go to a gen3 Hemi.

About the only way you can have power steering is if you install a coil over kit like the one from Reilly Motorsports. You can read about it here:

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/

The Alter-K-Tion uses a front mounted rack and pinion setup. Bill Reilly has an adapter to adjust the power steering fluid pressure to match the rack he uses in his setup. TTI has a set of headers specifically designed for the Alter-K-Tion. You can also use Jeep manifolds either the 5.7 or 6.1

For making the transplant into an A-Body with a factory K-Member you are stuck with manual steering.

Basically the GenIII Hemi exhaust ports point straight into the steering box. On the manual boxes there is just enough space for either an exhaust manifold off of a 5.7 Jeep Cherokee or a Header from TTI. The truck manifolds can't be used as they point straight back into the firewall.

Moving the engine further back won't help as multiple exhaust ports are extremely close to steering box.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Ah ok thanks. If I was going the alter k route id just keep the big block. Sucks and for the money I might as well efi my existing setup.

I had the same problem with the block in my car. I just drilled it and tapped it before installation. Good luck with your build!!!

-
Back