5.7 open up not good

-

rc14

jr member
Reaction score
I picked up an 05 5.7 about a month ago for a guy and was told it had 150,000 miles and the guy just wanted a new engine this one ran hot one time. My plan was to rebuild and put it in my 03 RAM 1500. That has 240,000 miles
So this morning I was checking it out and noticed one of the spark plugs gaps was closed
So off comes the head and this is what I found.

Was not able to down load picture from my phone.
Broken piston and head was beat up real bad. Looks like valve seat is gone to. As in not there anymore.
Lucky I only gave $175.00 for the engine. But not sure 20th will clear up the cylinder.

If I have I will. Plan to rebuild anyway not just rering. Then maybe the 03 will get build real strong and set her in the dart.

If I have to I will. Plan to rebuild anyway not just rering. Then maybe the 03 will get build real strong and set her in the dart.

you should do a build thread on the 5.7 here. i don't think anyone has done that here. post alot of pictures and explain it all in as much detail as you can. i'm sure that would be welcome

I had the exact same thing happen to mine, but I sort of knew ahead of time. The guy that bought the engine before me had the intent of rebuilding it and never did and though it just chipped a ring land, but it turns out I think it dropped the whole intake valve seat. I just sleeved it and did a rebuild and she's been running pretty good ever since. I ended up swapping the head out though. Tried cleaning up all the damage, but it was just too much to work with. Found a place in Texas that has refurbished heads that has a nice core charge policy. As long as you send back all the parts they send you, you get full credit. It doesn't matter if they're broken on in pieces, as long as they are all there. The place was called Cylinder Head International. Pretty good prices too, I think a rebuilt head was around $250 or so when I got mine.

contact Stu at inertiamotorsports.com He was a vendor on here.. He did a 5.7 based stroker on my charger and it the time it was the fastest in the country! Stu knows his stuff. He has stock piston, head cores, rods, etc.. that he normally get rid of on the cheap.

I've got all kinds of Hemi parts just sitting the garage. If I would of known a week ago before I took my scrap metal in I would of had spare rod/pistons from an engine I just tore down. I have a good head but I can't remember if it's a left or right. Let me know what you need and I might be able to help you out on it.

Riddler

Same here I just scraped 3 heads myself. What cyl did it trash? I'm guessing it was number 1 or 3. I have seen this happen about 15-20 times. It's a fairly common failure. Slight detonation, and itbrakes the ring land off. I have seen it on engines with as little as 14,000 miles. A superchips tuner and a weaktank of gas is all it takes.

Sorry for your misfortune, I mighthave a piston or 2 laying arround if you need it. But if it needs to be bored out nothing I can do for you.

All good info guys i have to make or get a valve spring compressor before i can take a look at the valve seat but sure its gone that exhaust valve is seating very low in the hole have not messed with it today.

Riddler it the drivers side head, let me know what you have to have for one if you have it.

Thanks Guys.

This rebuild was to be stock and the next build hot may have to change that around.

Do yourself a favor and install a set of 16 6.1 exhaust valve springs on that 03 motor, as they have been known to break.

I just got a new stock cam from FABO member joeboy cheap very good guy. Thanks Joe.

03 ramit it was cylinder 7 and number 1 had just a few small dents but not bad at all. But 7 is real bad.

Thanks Guys

All good info guys i have to make or get a valve spring compressor before i can take a look at the valve seat but sure its gone that exhaust valve is seating very low in the hole have not messed with it today.

Riddler it the drivers side head, let me know what you have to have for one if you have it.

Thanks Guys.

This rebuild was to be stock and the next build hot may have to change that around.

PM sent, I do have a good driver's side. I also have the front cover and all accessories for a truck motor. I have a driver's side plastic valve cover as well.

Riddler

I got a valve spring tool from a guy on LX forums... home made version, but worked like a champ. My build thread has pics of the tool, i paid 75 i think. But you may have more options with the heads off than i did...

Joe

OK i am just full of questions. a friend of mine told me this morning he know where i can get a 2010 5.7 engine, trans and computer that has less the 3000 mile for less the 2 grand. from a darengo that was rolled. OK the 2010 have the
Oh what do you call it. multi cylinder crap and my 03 Ram don't what kind of problems would i run it to. I think that would be sweet to have a fresh engine and trans in the ram and have an 03 and 05 hemi to pick from for the dart.

I am sure it not put plug and play.????

The issue with the MDS (multiple displacement system) can be easily changed it's just a lifter swap to nonMDS lifters, but that only works on the 06-08 motors. The 09-up stuff has variable cam timing (VCT) the 03 PCM will not be able to control it, and it could cause issues. Your better off with the 05 for your ram. Or any motor that's 03-08 leave the 09-up stuff alone, unless you have an 09-up already.

-
Back