#5 & #7 Plugs on 340

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After years of struggling to get plugs 5 and 7 out from behind those nasty headers, I've started to wonder if anyone has any cool tricks which might make this job a little easier? I have a ground-down Craftsman spark-plug socket, and the usual Craftsman ratchet and flex attachment. It's tight, but works. However it is a pain in the #%$& process, and I would be greatful for any suggestions from the pros.

I've never had an issue. I cannot get a rachet on my socket. I use the little hex head that is on top of the spark plug sockets. Stick the socket on the plugs, pop it loose with a mini crecent wrench and i can loosen by hand and get them both out.

I always use a piece of 6" or so vac hose and push it on the end of the spark plug. This is especially helpful when starting the plug because you can screw it in around corners without crossthreading.
If you make sure your threads are clean you just break the plug loose, slip this on the end and unscrew. Heck you could make it 2 feet long if you wanted to and do it standing beside the car.

I use a wobble extension into the plug socket. The wobble extension is much better in tight places than a U-joint type adapter. With the wobble ext. it's uaually no problem. You can get a set of them at Sears for about $20.

before i bought TTI headers i used to put the socket on and then just put an extension into the socket just alitle that gave me all the room i needed and then lossen the plug, then i used a piece of hose to unscrew the plug

I'm on my way out to get a wobble extension. The 6" vac hose idea also sounds like a good one. As always, thanx!

I pop off the valve cover from it's studs and use a wrench on the spark plug socket. Reuseable valve cover gaskets are a wonderful thing.

Switch to 5/8" hex plugs and you won't have any issues any more, they socket will fit past the tube with no issues. The late model magnums switched to the 5/8" hex plug when they came out. The thread and reach are the same.

I run Autolite 3923 plugs which is one heat range colder than a stock plug.

-
Back