5.7 questions please help

-

Aj408

Reaction score
Im getting ready to do a 5.7 Hemi swap into my 72 Demon. I have looked through most of the threads and I still have some unanswered questions. I plan on doing this with a buddy in his garage. I plan on using a hot wire wiring harness, talked to the guy, seems very knowledgable. My questions are about the small things. I plan on running TTI headers. From what Im understanding is that I will need to run a mini starter. Does it need to be clockable Also, I understand I have to run manual steering. Which motor mount would work best for fitment with a stock K f rame? I also hear a lot about the oil filter, either remote locate or an angle adapter. I was also wondering on the oil pan. Which one everyone has had the best results with. Right now I am leaning more towards a Milodon pan with all the accessories. The fuel system, do i need to sump my gas tank, or does someone make a sumped tank? Im assuming it going to be a return style fuel system. I was thinking of going with the aeromotive A1000 fuel pump and regualator setup. Any help would be great thanks. Aj

Im getting ready to do a 5.7 Hemi swap into my 72 Demon. I have looked through most of the threads and I still have some unanswered questions. I plan on doing this with a buddy in his garage. I plan on using a hot wire wiring harness, talked to the guy, seems very knowledgable. My questions are about the small things. I plan on running TTI headers. From what Im understanding is that I will need to run a mini starter. Does it need to be clockable Also, I understand I have to run manual steering. Which motor mount would work best for fitment with a stock K f rame? I also hear a lot about the oil filter, either remote locate or an angle adapter. I was also wondering on the oil pan. Which one everyone has had the best results with. Right now I am leaning more towards a Milodon pan with all the accessories. The fuel system, do i need to sump my gas tank, or does someone make a sumped tank? Im assuming it going to be a return style fuel system. I was thinking of going with the aeromotive A1000 fuel pump and regualator setup. Any help would be great thanks. Aj
AJ, the only item I can comment on is the fuel tank, call Rock Valley they can hook you up. ( Do not use an external electric fuel pump, they do not last) You do not need to run a return, you use a 99 corvette filter/regulator which has the return line in it. Good luck.

The starter need not be clockable. Use one of the ones recommended by TTI and you won't have a problem.

TTI also sells mounts. I used their 58SMA73's with modifications but they will probably be fine for you out of the box.

I also bought the oil filter block off plate but wound up not using it. My motor mount mods/fabrication allowed me to keep the filter on the engine and have the A/C compressor in the stock 6.1 location. If you can weld, you can do this also. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't have spent the $250 on the TTI mounts. I ended up using just the "spool" part which is basically just a leaf spring front eye bushing.

I used a Weldtech pan because it has better baffling for road course/street driving, plus it's aluminum. http://www.weldtechstainless.com/

Assuming you're keeping the fuel injection, are you keeping the factory computer and injectors? If so the A1000 pump is rated at 45 psi while the spec for the fuel pressure on most 5.7's is 58 psi. You must have 58 +/-5 psi if you're using a factory calibration.

If your PCM settup would allow a diablo predator to install it can be tuned to work with the 45 PSI pump. Thats what I'm trying to settup currently.

I modified my tank and the stock truck pump to work. I went with a weldtech pan and I'm using the stock truck starter. Since you have a 72 you will need the older style mounts if you go with TTI like I have. I modded my k frame to use the angle oil filter adapter. Everything is a very tight fit. I'm using the factory wiring that I modded myself. It took time an patience, but saved me from dropping the cash on the hotwire harness.

DSC03343.jpg

DSC03344.jpg

DSC03345.jpg

DSC03346.jpg

DSC03342.JPG

DSC03394.JPG

DSC03395.JPG

DSC03397.JPG

I went with a weldtech pan and I'm using the stock truck starter.

FYI:

Anyone thinking of using weldtechs oil pan. Unless he changed his design, any older abody with the older center link, the centerlink hits the oil pan on a hard rh parking lot turn. Mine developed a leek. I told him about it and he wasnt too concerned about it...told me to change my centerlink like it was nothing big or costly. Was very disappointed in his answer. I wound taking it off and spending $50.00 and having a local shop bevel and weld that area for clearance. I also wasnt impressed with the gasket flange. I had to clean off weld from all the bolt holes so the fastening would lie flat.....if I were to do it again....which I'm in the process of now to my 70 Charger...I would go with either the MP or Milidon stamped...or better yet..if you can...go with the factory... Just my $.02

PA120017.jpg

It is from an 05 truck like the engine and trans I am using. I had to turn it 180 and cut the springs and rods down and reroute the wires to get it to compress enough to fit in the tank. It took some time and effort, but didn't cost me anything out of pocket. I was really surprised i could actually make it work. I figured I would have to buy a rockvalley tank or something similar.

Here's some pictures of what the pump looked like before modification.
http://www.allworldautomotive.com/v..._v8_5_7l_fuel_pump_auto_part_photo_31280.html

FYI:

Anyone thinking of using weldtechs oil pan. Unless he changed his design, any older abody with the older center link, the centerlink hits the oil pan on a hard rh parking lot turn. Mine developed a leek. I told him about it and he wasnt too concerned about it...told me to change my centerlink like it was nothing big or costly. Was very disappointed in his answer. I wound taking it off and spending $50.00 and having a local shop bevel and weld that area for clearance. I also wasnt impressed with the gasket flange. I had to clean off weld from all the bolt holes so the fastening would lie flat.....if I were to do it again....which I'm in the process of now to my 70 Charger...I would go with either the MP or Milidon stamped...or better yet..if you can...go with the factory... Just my $.02

I would just add that the WeldTech pan pickup is pretty poorly made, from my personal experience in mocking it up

Call Dave Weber from Modern Hemi Muscle for the fuel system or advice on it. http://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/

-
Back