5.7 swap just want easy. Help

-

Birddog1

Reaction score
Ok I know all you smart people are trying new things and seeing what you can do, I am not into that just want it as simple as possible. I have been reading this hemi swap forum I feel like I actually know less.Here are my circumstances
Total restore 68 dart
New wiring
Stock 5.7 hemi
Want to put ac
Was 904 going to 727
8.25 rear
Alterkation front and rear suspension
New gauges

Not trying to go too fast just want a good quick driver. Want new tech with old body as easy as possible
Help the dummy
What do I need to get.

Thanks for the info

What about box stock motor and fast controller to keep a factory appearance

I don't believe the RMS suspension works with an 8.25. I believe it's only good for the 8.75 or Dana.

Simple would be a carbed engine, with the tubular front, and stock transmission. It's not necessarily the cheapest utilizing a tubular front suspension. The only "new tech" about it would be the engine is more efficient compared to a small block but you're still going to be working with a carb. I guess you could consider the coil overs as "new tech" but it's debatable if that's really better than the torsion bars (a can of worms I don't want to open).

Also - radiator, electric fans, oil filter set up, TTI or Street and Performance headers, milodon pan and hardware ( not sure on this with Altercation front end), flex trans dipstick, flex plate,

Possibly - main cap bolts to replace tty bolts if changing pickup, windage pan gasket, temp and oil sensors depending on ecu used.

Also - radiator, electric fans, oil filter set up, TTI or Street and Performance headers, milodon pan and hardware ( not sure on this with Altercation front end), flex trans dipstick, flex plate,

Possibly - main cap bolts to replace tty bolts if changing pickup, windage pan gasket, temp and oil sensors depending on ecu used.

Yeah Milodon pan is needed. Yuo can also buy a harness and computer and keep that engine EFI. I see no reason to carb these motors unless you want it to look old.

Riddler

I agree with riddler, by the time you purchase a MSD hemi controller, intake, and carb you're well on the way to the price of the Hotwire auto factory ECU and modified harness which is perfect for a stock 5.7. YOu won't regret the EFI, just a bit more work to the fuel system.

Joe

The fuel system (and fact that I didn't get any factory wiring/electronics with my engine) was my main reason for going carbed initially. I pretty much had a running swap for around $5000 including the engine and work that had to be done to it. I also didn't really have a job at the time (did it at the end of my college stint), so I didn't have money to spare. Once I got a job and some income out of school I swapped over to EFI, but I ended up reusing most of the parts I already had so I've ended up with a fairly unique setup.

Hot Wire and stock ECU for electronics.
Upgrade Fuel System Use a Corvette combination fuel filter/regulator and either exterior or in-tank pump.
Alterktion will work just fine with an 8.25 The Alterktion keeps the motor in the same place and you still use the factory cross member for the transmission.
TTI or Jeep manifolds for exhaust
Oil Filter Relocation kit
Modify or Buy a new radiator with correct locations for coolant you'll need electric fans.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Upgrade Fuel System Use a Corvette combination fuel filter/regulator and either exterior or in-tank pump.
Modify or Buy a new radiator with correct locations for coolant you'll need electric fans.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

X2, this is the simplest way. Going carbed will be more of a headache and more money.

Alterktion will work just fine with an 8.25 The Alterktion keeps the motor in the same place and you still use the factory cross member for the transmission.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Simpllist for sure, don't forget the gas pedal...

If you want "stock" then no reason to run anything other than OEM computer and efi. Especially if you want MPG to be decent.

Yeah Milodon pan is needed. Yuo can also buy a harness and computer and keep that engine EFI. I see no reason to carb these motors unless you want it to look old.

Riddler

Not sure where I mentioned using a carb - you,d have to have a very specific reason to choose to go that route.

I did...but most would be better off with EFI.

Hemi6 box, Msd works with efi to, you just have to buy the harness for whatever you want to go with. Harness are about the same cost of each other.
Oil pan you'd have to get the milidon and pickup. You may need a main cap bolt for the swap of the pick up.
Exhaust depends on what you want to run. Headers tti. Srt/jeep exhaust may work.
Adapter for trans
Mini starter
Radiator would need to be replaced or modified hoses to fit motor, champion makes a good aluminum one at a really good price.
You have to run electric fans.
If you have an 8.25, I'd highly recommend to find a 8.75.
Trans should still align with no problem
Not sure if you'd need it, but you may have to run a oil filter relocation, not sure about alterkation.

Have fun and enjoy

-
Back