5.9 Magnum 130 tooth flywheel???

-

dustyswinger

Reaction score
What flywheel has anyone used to transplant a 93 up 5.9 magnum fuel injected motor into an A body. I have a duster and would like to keep the 833 4 speed with the magnum swap as well as use the factory computer. The factory seems to be a 143 tooth and the factory is a 130. I saw a post about a guy that was making them but his email doesn't work and dont know if his PM works. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Craig

Not an easy thing to do, been chasing that pot of gold myself for some time.

One guy had a shop machine the diameter of a 143T flywheel to fit a 130T ring gear. He has been running it for 5 or 6 years without a problem. He said he was going to get a couple made, but I haven't heard anything.

Another guy tried the same thing and was told the shop couldn't find a flywheel that was true enough to machine. He ended up waiting on a custom one he was having made. Never heard if it showed up.

Thought about a Magnum flexplate from a 318 (no balance weight) behind my LA flywheel (with the early 360 balance holes), but I don't think it would nest well.

I know there is a bell from a late 80's truck that almost bolts up to an A833 and uses the 143T flywheel. You would have to drill a hole in the bellhousing, if I remember correctly.

I have been working on a crank trigger that runs off the end of the cam. It would use a pickup from a later Caliber with a 4 cylinder, and a wheel bolted to the end of the cam with 16 notches. Haven't given up on it yet, but decided to get the car running with a carb for now. EFI will have to wait until later.

Just as an FYI, I am working on swapping the SMPI setup onto the numbers matching motor in my Duster, not swapping a complete 5.9 into it. Makes a bit of a difference because of the different balance needed in the motors.

Couple of links:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=78887

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=118042

Any decent machinist should be able to turn the bigger wheel down to use a 130 tooth ring gear.
The second option is to use a pick-up or van bell housing that requires the 143 tooth wheel. The pickup bell might have the A-833 bolt pattern but if it does you will need to fab a collar for the bearing retainer to center in the bell as the usual application was for the O/D unit. The van style 3-speed bell can be used but you will need to provide bolt holes for the trans.

-
Back