5.9 magnum 2002

-

valle6062

Reaction score
Hi there.
I have a 5.9 MAGNUM from 2002. I know its external balance. But I wonder, is it not possible to change that so it will be internal balance? or neutral balance? I have a 318 with a 727 that I want to use parts from. like the balancer in the front, and the 727 with the flex and converter in the back.
Please feeback :D

In short, yes a 360 or 5.9 can be internal balanced, but you'd be paying out the nose for the Mallory metal to do so. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a new crank that's meant to be zero balanced.

It would be WAAAY cheaper to buy the correct flex plate for the magnum to 727 and buy a new balancer, than to pull the motor apart have it balanced, just to use the old parts from the 318 that really doesn't make any sense. unless you were pulling the motor apart for a rebuild.

Just order up a weighted magnum 5.9 flexplate and a dampener, put it over your converter, elongate one bolt hole, knock the weight off the converter, all is well.

It would be WAAAY cheaper to buy the correct flex plate for the magnum to 727 and buy a new balancer, than to pull the motor apart have it balanced, just to use the old parts from the 318 that really doesn't make any sense. unless you were pulling the motor apart for a rebuild.

Just order up a weighted magnum 5.9 flexplate and a dampener, put it over your converter, elongate one bolt hole, knock the weight off the converter, all is well.

Agreed!

Hi there.
I have a 5.9 MAGNUM from 2002. I know its external balance. But I wonder, is it not possible to change that so it will be internal balance? or neutral balance? I have a 318 with a 727 that I want to use parts from. like the balancer in the front, and the 727 with the flex and converter in the back.
Please feeback :D

Why change it? The motor, balancer and flex plate are all matched to the 5.9 Magnum. A stock, neutral balanced torque converter will bolt right up and be happy. You should be able to file one of the holes in the flex plate to slightly align the torque converter from the 727. Just make sure it doesn't have weights on ot from a cast crank 360!

Well I bought this motor from the junkyard. It has gone 80000km sitting in a Durango. I have no original flexplate and I don want this serpentin belt in the front.
I wanna build an Engine with good Power and with the old LA style. The dampers that I have found is not fuid and SFI aproved. I read in a book that its better with internal balance if you wanna run it "hard". I really have no directly plans right now for the Engine, but maby in the future it will hava a 6-71 on the top :D thats why I asked the question :D

Are you interested in selling ALL of the serpentine equiptment??? If so pm me as I'm interested in buying all of it for my 5.9. Thanks

Jim

Are you interested in selling ALL of the serpentine equiptment??? If so pm me as I'm interested in buying all of it for my 5.9. Thanks

Jim

Sorry, but I cleaned it when I picked it up, all the serpentine stuff include the waterpump and the fuel injection just to hold the cost down. They kept the stuff and lower the price from 20K. SEK to 10K. SEK
/Erik

I have weight the pistons with rings and rods. The gap is 8grams. The lightest is 1392 gram and the heaviest is 1400grams. Is this to much difference for a good balance?

Dude, beat on that magnum like it owes you money, they are tough, and spin fast because they are lighter. For the balance, let me put it to you this way, I have a bastard piston I ordered from summit, didn't weight it, ring land broke off. Tossed it in, and spins like a ballerina. I tried to find fault where there is none.

Don't bother dicking with the balance, run it stock pistons and all, up to 6K RPM. Re-ring and bearing and let it scream. Look up LXguy and JoeDust451. Follow our advice, beat on it.

360 magnum will work just fine with external balance, order the correct flexplate and damper and be done with it; why bother with the internal balancing; you'll blow the engine before you have issues with external balancing if correct parts are used

Summit sells a SFI balancer for the magnum.
I am pretty sure I have the flex plate off my 360 mag, I run a 4-speed behind mine, so I dont need the part.

I have weight the pistons with rings and rods. The gap is 8grams. The lightest is 1392 gram and the heaviest is 1400grams. Is this to much difference for a good balance?

The nit picky guys want 1 to 2 grams,on a custom high dollar race build. Compared to 1970's 360 stock rod & piston combination's,that's seems lighter. Put it back together (with bearing clearance's checked),run it. You're safe to 425-450 h.p.,about 6200-6500, running a new stock pump & high volume pan,helps here.(Kevco,looks nice).

Kevkos do look good, and they have some fancy schmancy baffles/trap doors in them. Bolted down like a dream on my bro's 340

Well. I have decide to go for a stroker kit from Flatlander Racing. SCAT Premium Kit no:1-98111BI. but I will go with standard bore size because my block was like new and no need for over bore it.
this treed will go on :D

Well. I have decide to go for a stroker kit from Flatlander Racing. SCAT Premium Kit no:1-98111BI. but I will go with standard bore size because my block was like new and no need for over bore it.
this treed will go on :D

Good choice, you will be happy with the decision.

Why change it? The motor, balancer and flex plate are all matched to the 5.9 Magnum. A stock, neutral balanced torque converter will bolt right up and be happy. You should be able to file one of the holes in the flex plate to slightly align the torque converter from the 727. Just make sure it doesn't have weights on ot from a cast crank 360!

This is 100% correct. File a bolt hole & go

-
Back