5.9 Magnum a/c compressor usage with aftermarket a/c quesion

-

74SwingerSpe

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We are installing a 2000 5.9 in our 73 duster project and want to keep the serpentine belt system and stock accessories. If we use the stock compressor, is there any options/adapters available so that we don't have to modify the stock a/c lines that connect to the compressor. The one piece connection is similar to old GM compressors, but just different enough that Vintage Air adapters won't work. I know I could take the stock lines and cut off the ends, opposite of the compressor connection, and then have additional pipe and new ends crimped on. However, I think it would be much cleaner to run new (separate) lines from the compressor. Has anyone else done this? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Travis

I used the 2000 Magnum serpentine and A/C set-up in my '68 with Vintage Air's Gen 5 evaporator and a R-134 specific condenser. I used the stock A/C pump manifold with the ends cut off and new ends soldered and crimped on. It looks like it came this way.

Airbox1.JPG

Airbox2.JPG

... take the stock lines and cut off the ends, opposite of the compressor connection, and then have additional pipe and new ends crimped on. ...
Lost you on "additional pipe" (i.e. "tubing"). Most AC fittings can be removed and new rubber hose attached. I have done this on many cars. You can cut and peel off the thin crimped ferrule to get at the hose, using a hacksaw and/or cut-off wheel, screwdriver & pliers to pry. Some fittings are "Coll-O-Crimp" style where the ferrule is integral w/ the fitting, but are easily severed. Buy new "barrier" AC hose on ebay. I like "reduced barrier" for less bulk. If the 2 fittings are for different size hose, you can buy in-line adapters. If you don't have a Master-Cool crimper (like me) for new ferrules, use Oeticker stepless ear clamps for a clean look, or Breeze smooth screw clamps, if you don't mind semi-ugly. Even normal style screw-clamps (rugged AC-type w/ locating finger) work fine and were used for years in after-market installs.

Thanks for the responses. After seeing jbc426's response, I got an idea. I'll do something similar, but rather than have new Beadlock connections soldered on, I'll use a compression fitting to Beadlock in the appropriate sizes and then crimp new hoses. An example is something like the following.

Murray Climate Control 17849 - A/C Compression Fitting | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Travis

-
Back