5.9 magnum head gasket question?????

-

FJ5

Reaction score
current engine is a 5.9 magnum out of a 2000 dodge ram truck, bored and stroked to 408, RHS indy "X" heads.

My question is...Is the head gasket supposed to cover some of the water jacket openings. and the holes in the gasket are way smaller than the port opening.

The part #9898pt (felpro) seems to be correct.
I have searched other threads but cant seem to find anything on this.

current engine is a 5.9 magnum out of a 2000 dodge ram truck, bored and stroked to 408, RHS indy "X" heads.

My question is...Is the head gasket supposed to cover some of the water jacket openings. and the holes in the gasket are way smaller than the port opening.

The part #9898pt (felpro) seems to be correct.
I have searched other threads but cant seem to find anything on this.
I agree that it is the correct part number. but is it supposed to block some of the water jackets?

Yes. I learned the hard way in dumF-kid days, when doing a valve job on a slant six. I got the bright idea to drill a hole in the head gasket because "somebody screwed up". After ~5 min, the temperature gage showed too hot. Fortunately, I was able just lift the head and manifolds as one and swap in an unmolested gasket with just a little razor blade work to clean surfaces. I have seen similar blocked passages in other engines, including my M-B diesel. My guess is that the holes are there to clean sand out of the casting. In some, there is a purposeful smaller hole for water flow.

-
Back