5.9 magnum intake performance

-

Muscley MOPAR

Reaction score
anyone running a mopar perf. MPI intake and getting a considerable gain in HP over the keg style...im gonna put a 5.9 mag, computer harness, injectors, etc in a 78 ramcharger mostly just for a better power reliability and mpg gain. what i plan on doing is putting a 5.2 mag cam in 1.7 rockers a 50 52 mm throttle body a cpu chip and mabey a good cold air. my question is is that intake worth the money over the keg style even though the belly likes to blow out

Yes its better. Smaller= less weight

I am curious though. Why are you going to put a 318 cam in the 360? Your power gain is gonna go out the window.

Yes the intake is worth it. The production manifold transfers a lot of heat to the intake air.

I have run the single plane MPI intake on several stock or near stock vehicles(on everything from a 5.2 to a 408 )and it really didn't show me anything that would make me believe its worth the astronomical prices they charge for them. As far as I can tell you give up a lot of low end for some minute gains on up the RPM range that you will hardly ever utilize. Watch your tach and see how much you ever get over 4000 rpm(which I would bet is not much)and that should tell you which intake is better suited for the job. You do gain a slight weight advantage(10-15 pounds) like that matters in a Ramcharger. You can make a real gasket and plate for the bottom of the keg intake so it wont blow and save the megabucks they want for the MPI single plane to use for other improvements. Just my pretty well explored opinion, good luck

Question on this same thread - is there a big difference between the Keg Style intake and a two plane intake on the magnum engines? Thinking about putting a 318 or 360 motor, ecu, injector's in my Barracuda along with a overdrive tranny - either a 518 or 46RE. Thought about doing the same thing to a Ramcharger or an older pickup as well.

Stock 5.2 Magnum: Duration: 251In./264Ex. Lift: .432"In/ .432"Ex Cam centerline 113*

Stock 5.9 Magnum: Duration: 249In./269Ex. Lift: .410"In/ .417"Ex Cam centerline 109*

ya thats kinda what i was thinking on MPI intake ya it will run cooler and is lighter and mabey a small horsepower gain but at 600 bucks its not worth it specialy for a 4000 5000 rpm range...also RUMBLEFISH are you talking about the cam or the intake because the 5.2 cam is a hotter cam not sure why ud loose power, the numbers are higher than what they put in the lower hp 360 mag crate motors

and with a cam throttle body 1.7 lifters and a couple other little things i will have close to 300 hp and a decent torque increase...not looking for a drag track ramcharger

also RUMBLEFISH are you talking about the cam or the intake because the 5.2 cam is a hotter cam not sure why ud loose power, the numbers are higher than what they put in the lower hp 360 mag crate motors

Intake, also, even though you put in a hotter cam, with the intake, your not going to be gaining any power. The cam is not going to off set the loss from the intake. It is to much intake.

Actually ,805 moparkid,just ported one of the "kegger"manifolds.And to boot,I remember him doing a thread on it(with pictures).

Im talkin bout using the keg intake wit the other stuff I was talkin bout amd headers I think I could easy gain 75 hp without spending a lot of money on that intake even wit stock heads

805,ported his own intake. BTW,stock Magnum heads peak,at .460-.480 lift. Save money,stay stock 1.6. You need 75 ft -lbs of torque,not 75 h.p. H.p comes after 5250 rpm,torque,under .Good choice,on the cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abodybomber
Actually ,805 moparkid,just ported one of the "kegger"manifolds.And to boot,I remember him doing a thread on it(with pictures).
hey my ears are burning! let me dig it up and throw in some more input. give me a sec....
Ed,you are the best! THANK YOU!

ya what I meant was a decent power gain for the money I put into it....and yes what I'm lookin for most is a decent torque increase since those motors don't rev much higher than 4500 which I think i can get with those couple of things specially since the magnums were pretty torquey stock

hey thanks moparkid!

no problem! im trying to get the gumption to pull it back apart and make a new plate... but that hughes air gap is really nice! im trying to figure out how to make an "air gap" out of a kegger (yea really!!)...

ya those Hughes intake r nice but a lil to pricey...did u notice a economy or power gain at all

Oh thanks ,ED!(lol!). I lost the plenum gasket in bombers backyard! so if you do anything in my thread make sure you use a 1/4" plate minimum...
On geez,more digging....(great humor,Ed....).

ya those Hughes intake r nice but a lil to pricey...did u notice a economy or power gain at all

compared to a popped gasket yes. i was getting about 15mpg hwy (75 with OD). mines 4wd with a rack so that hurts... goal is 20 unloaded...

-
Back