5.9 magnum rering kit?

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
Whose rering, gasket, and bearing kit do you recomend? My block looks great, can still see original hone in all cylinders. I can go two ways, Flex hone it, or have it touched up at my machine shop. Stock pistons will be reused. This motor will be a moderate rpm street/strip build, probably never go over 6000 to 6200 rpm.

I personally would just put in any quality moly-top ring set. The other option is a Total Seal type of ring set.

Make sure you measure the ring side clearance in the ring grooves! If they are worn and loose, you are wasting your time; the rings will twist excessively up and down and the ring seal will be erratic to bad.

Old school alert! If you had worn ring grooves in the old days, you could machine the ring grooves wider and put in what are called ring spacers. Ring spacers look like the scraper rings on standard oil rings, and fit in the expanded ring grooves under the standard ring.

With Magnum rings, you could conceivable 'groove' the pistons wider and then use the older 5/64" 360 LA ring package. But new stock cast pistons are probably cheaper.

Yeah, lots of info you did not need... LOL

-
Back